Thread: Kaiser health insurance ?

Kaiser health insurance ?

I see there have been a few threads about this over the years. I'm thinking of switching from my Blue Shield of California PPO to reduce my monthly premium. Anyone in the SF bay area (silicon valley especially) have opinions on Kaiser these days ?

I had kaiser my whole life until about 7 years ago. I personally wouldnt go back as it's so restrictive: wouldnt do botox for bladder, I had to pay out of pocket for an 'experimental' surgery at SCVMC, and you cannot see non-kaiser docs. Since then tho my mom has lost good docs who decided to go to kaiser including the former head of ucsf's gynocological oncology dept. If you've never had an hmo before and are used to ppos it will be a big change unless you dont go to the doc too much.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by rhyang View Post
    I see there have been a few threads about this over the years. I'm thinking of switching from my Blue Shield of California PPO to reduce my monthly premium. Anyone in the SF bay area (silicon valley especially) have opinions on Kaiser these days ?
    Kaiser has pretty limited SCI care, you have to go to Valleijo. I toured their facility a few yrs ago and talked to the Med director of PM&R. They were touting their program but have an average length of stay less than 14 days--a quad might get 20 days. When I inquired I was told--you have to realize what you are paying for. She was talking to me as a professional and that simply didn't sit well.

OTOH, the staff in the SCI unit were great bunch. I was just disappointed at how little they do in order to contain costs.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thanks all for the info ! Turns out they declined to provide me coverage anyway.