• I'd try to live at home

6 75.00%
  • I'd go to a caring facility

1 12.50%
  • I'd advocate my right to die

1 12.50%

Thread: Survey for Homework

Survey for Homework

Hi, I'd just like to introduce myself. I'm not a caregiver or a person with an injury; I'm a psychology major working on a project about caregivers and their views on disability. If this topic is a problem, please erase it, because it touches a sensitive nerve.

Basically, I'm conducting a survey on the "better dead than disabled" mentality. I'm going to focus on whether you would be willing to live with a severe disability or would you like to die or be put in a caring facility.

Just for some background, our professor told us to pick a topic and conduct a survey, after which we write a paper about the results. Since we had a discussion regarding self worth and disability, I decided to focus on that, and in a search, I found this comment regarding the "better dead than disabled" debate:

"I guess my choice would be to go on at least for a while. However, having been a caregiver, how long I wanted to continue might depend on how my family was doing while taking care of me. I would not want to see them stressed out and sleepless, financially ruined, physically and emotionally drained while keeping up a brave front. Everyone’s tolerances for challenge are indeed different. But as others have pointed out, one can never know how one will really react until the unthinkable actually happens."

This made me wonder, do caregivers have a different attitude than the disabled? Namely, the caregiver in this scenario would have chosen death rather than be a long-term burden. I realise again that this is a touchy subject, and on top of it, when you answer the poll, I'd like you to explain your reasoning. If you don't feel comfortable saying it out loud, please PM me or email me (other members can access my private email).

If it'll make it a little easier, I'll give you my answer, although it won't count because I'm not a caregiver. I personally would rather be institutionalized than force my mother (or brother, or, if I had one, spouse) to become a caregiver. I don't think I could live with myself if I did that to anyone. After reading a few other reports about how caregivers have a much harder time than the disabled, I think I can safely say that. So, for me, it's not much of a "better dead than disabled" as much as a "better institutionalized than be a burden" sort of thing. Since I'm not disabled, who can say what I'd actually pick?

I don't mean to offend anyone with my answer, by the way. I think everything reacts differently, and I like to think that I'd be doing the most selfless thing I can think of, but others would see it differently.

So, caregivers, I'd like you to answer the poll and explain your responses. PM me or email me if you'd rather do that.

Again, if the thread is too sensitive, please remove it and remove my account as well, since I'll only be here to conduct my survey.

Thanks in advance to all who participate.

EDIT:
    First, since my definition of disabled is unclear, I'll clear that up first. Since this survey is on a SCI board, that's the disability I'm going with. I have a terminally ill survey going on amongst the students at my school, so I'm not looking for input on that.

Since the term "severely" is different for each person, I'll leave it up to you to decide what that is for yourself and respond according to your own perception.

Obieone, thank you for keeping this up! However, you are right that it would be good to close the thread if things go down bad. The last thing I want to do is damage someone's well-being.

Thanks in advance for everyone participating in the survey.
    Last edited by Survey; 03-11-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: New Info

Hi Survey - Interesting idea for a paper but you may be opening a pandora's box looking for opinions on a forum such as this. I'll let it stay for now but I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread. Because it's so provocative and there is so many variables - it has the potential to go south quickly. As you stated yourself it is a sensitive area for debate because there is a powerful emotional component to consider. Email or pm responses may actually be the best way to go -good luck.

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 03-10-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added something I forgot!
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I will chose 1, but it not really an accurate answer because it would depend on my level of injury and self care ability, who my caregivers could/would be and what type of facilities/home care agencies were available in my area for my needs.
    Also, are you talking about a terminal illness or specifically a SCI?
    I know you said severe, but the definition of severe can even vary.

Not a caregiver, but want to make it clear, that this thread is readable by everyone on here, not just caregivers.

I think you need a clearer definition about "disabled".
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

First, since my definition of disabled is unclear, I'll clear that up first. Since this survey is on a SCI board, that's the disability I'm going with. I have a terminally ill survey going on amongst the students at my school, so I'm not looking for input on that.

Since the term "severely" is different for each person, I'll leave it up to you to decide what that is for yourself and respond according to your own perception.

Obieone, thank you for keeping this up! However, you are right that it would be good to close the thread if things go down bad. The last thing I want to do is damage someone's well-being.

Thanks in advance for everyone participating in the survey.