Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for SCI Nurse or Dr. Wise: Tendon lengthening for drop foot?

Question Question for SCI Nurse or Dr. Wise: Tendon lengthening for drop foot?

I went to see a doctor to ask him what could be done about my drop foot that I have. He told me that he could lengthen a tendon that would make it easier to dorsiflex my left foot to get my tibialis stronger to eventually get rid of the AFO. Has you heard of this or anyone had this surgery done? If so did you have good results? What were the risk's in doing it? My doctor said that there isn't no real risk in doing this only that it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by mj23; 03-09-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Did he give you his thoughts on if he thought it would work? What does your rehab doctors say?

CWO

he thinks it would but there's no guarantee. he said if it doesn't work it wouldn't hinder me either if there is a cure for drop foot one day.
    I asked him if he thinks through rehab and working on getting my foot stronger does he think I could run one day? He said he doesn't know but has seen it done before. I wonder if anyone has done this surgery before on here and what were the results? was anyone or have you seen anyone run after this? how better will my walking be after this?
    Last edited by mj23; 03-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

is this the surgery? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQcIh...eature=related

forgot how to post the videos directly

Why not try the walk-aide instead? Did you ever go see the vendor?

ya i did and he said my foot is too tight but I could try it anyway.. with this surgery it would make it a whole lot easier to lift up my foot and hopefully eventually be able to get rid of the brace. I'm also hoping to be able to run, i know maybe not right away but throught execrise and strength training eventually..

My husbands foot was dropped and turned inward so bad that he kept getting pressure sores on it. We had scheduled the surgery to "swap" his tendons. They were going to take one from the inside of the foot that had shrunk and take it to the outside one which was stretched, however once in surgery it was so bad that they could not even get it to relax once he was under so they ended up pinning it so that now his foot will not drop but he can not flex it at his ankle either, he is still able to "walk" with it but with that I mean he is has MS and has not walked since 2005 but he is improving and can stand on it and take a few steps with assistance. Don't mean to scare you but this is what happened to David.

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    ya i did and he said my foot is too tight but I could try it anyway.. with this surgery it would make it a whole lot easier to lift up my foot and hopefully eventually be able to get rid of the brace. I'm also hoping to be able to run, i know maybe not right away but throught execrise and strength training eventually..
    Ah. yea it didnt work well for me either. wow you must be very tight. I've noticed a big difference in my gait when I sleep with my boot (forget the correct medical terminology). do you wear one to bed? you may want to, even if it doesn't correct the problem it will at least prevent it from getting worse.

If you get the surgery, come back and let us know how well it works.

my doc said it wouldn't make me any worse even if it doesn't help get rid of the brace it would help me fit into my afo better

i had the surgery done on my right foot twenty six years ago...the achilles tendon was lengthened by splitting vertically using a 'z' cut, pulling the two halves apart and sewing the bottom of one to the top of the other...it was one day in the hospital and 12 weeks in a boot cast during healing, then keeping it stretched...it worked perfectly...never needed the afo again, and almost three decades later the tendon is going strong and my foot is still flat on the floor...

my advice...go for it...i looked like a ballet dancer on point before the surgery, and even the afo wasn't doing much to prevent me from tripping over my toes when i walked (i was ambulatory back then, but am in chair now)...had two normal feet after.