Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippy manual wheelchair.

Tippy manual wheelchair.

What causes your wheelchair to be tippy...
    Is it possible that a short backrest can cause your manual wheelchair to be tippy.

Anyone else have a tippy MWC...
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Center Of Gravity

Hi Coolbreeze, my wheelchair is tippy also. I don't know very much about the proper mechanics/balance, but I had lowered the "dump" on my chair by only a little and then I noticed it was more tippy. Someone told me that when the dump is lowered, the axle has to be moved back. On my chair, there's no leeway for the axle to be moved so I'm stuck with a tippy chair. I could have moved the dump back up but my posture was out of wack. It's my first chair, I stilll have lots to learn.
    Rebecca

Usually, it is caused by the centre of gravity being set to far forward. I see you are a c6/7. If you have problems with balance, a low backrest could make you feel more tippy as you are probably having trouble balancing/supporting yourself which is throwing your chair off balance which makes it tippy.

WG

not just cog - making the backrest more open also is more tippy. usually the backrest angle is determined by the angle between the backpost and the floor, but if you drop the rear seat height (increasing dump), even if you dont touch the backrest angle setting, the actual backrest angle will be a bit more open. i suppose its also possible that if the backrest is very short, you might press into it too much, having the same effect.

some wheelchair brands have a fixed position for the camber bar, and only adjust the 'tippiness' by changing the backrest angle.

butterfly mom, ii dont know what type of chair you have, but try resetting the backrest angle so it is a little more closed (forward)

Thanks guys, im gonna figure it out soon i hope.
    coolbreeze c6/7

I adjust the cog nut and gain space on the chamber width, now my rear wheels don't rub my pants or my hand break.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Coolbreeze, did that help at all? (I don't Really know what the cog nut is or how it works. I'm guessing its the nut that the wheel meets up against?) I don't know enough about axles to feel comfortable making changes.

Thanks Amyk, yes I did move the backrest as far forward as it will go and that helped. the yahoos who lowered the dump for me had moved the backrest backwards, making it worse, when I asked them to adjust it. I was able to correct it myself.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    I adjust the cog nut and gain space on the chamber width, now my rear wheels don't rub my pants or my hand break.
    ?, what kind of chair? don't understand what cog nut is and how it would effect wheel width, that's two different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    ?, what kind of chair? don't understand what cog nut is and how it would effect wheel width, that's two different directions.
    Quick TI the bolt on the axle.
    coolbreeze c6/7