Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever think about suicide?

I think we are more accepting of people who are terminally ill with cancer or on a ventilator due to ALS to chose if they want more care to remain alive or to stop all care except pain medication and die that way.
    I think westerners have more opportunities to find work or go to school that they enjoy and healthcare. Home help is always a problem even here because here the hired person may not even call but just not come to work one day and then we need to find someone new to hire and train.
    If you have people who want to help you then ask them to help until you find other help. While helping you your friends can help you get stronger by helping you sit up more, get some sun if it's not monsoon season, fresh air and play cards or games. Just sitting up more each day will help you breath deeper and help your posture and pain.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

malaysia

Kimsoon I hope you find the help & hope you seek, even if it does not take the form you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by kimsoon84 View Post
    Even Doctor will recommend quadriplegic patient to employ an Indonesian maid if their family can afford the cost. Most of the quadriplegic who can afford the cost here employ an Indonesian maid as a care giver as their best option because it's affordable.

But now day the story changed. Since Indonesia government limited the supply of maid to Malaysia and request a lot of rules to "protect" their maid, it's very expensive and very hard to employ an Indonesian maid now.

The option I can think for quadriplegic patient is employ an Indonesian maid but now not easy to employ and expensive. Nursing home but at least you have money you can go to a private nursing home and get a considerable services and I never heard of free of charge nursing home until now. And finally take care by your family, no is mother.

In Malaysia, I'm very sad to see most of the quadriplegic who take care by their mother forever even their mother in age 70 or 80. I don't know where they go if one day their mother pass away. And I strongly disagree a quadriplegic patient as a burden to family and only take care by family especially their mother forever. If there's no a system to take care of this group of people even government and society doesn't care about them, isn't euthanasia a need to help them in order to less their pain and suffering?
    I think a nursing home is a place most people don't want to go. I wonder though, if you would be happier, and have quality of life if you could get into one. They don't have them there?

Hi folks, how's everyone going here?
    I'm really upset as my body become weak and weak. Now I breath and talking also powerless... and there's new symptoms that makes me painfully every single minute of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by kimsoon84 View Post
    Hi folks, how's everyone going here?
    I'm really upset as my body become weak and weak. Now I breath and talking also powerless... and there's new symptoms that makes me painfully every single minute of my life.
    Stay strong Kim. We need you here with us if possible. I so look forward to your posts of wisdom.

I feel Jody is right about you needing to get to a place where you can be taken care properly and trustfully get stronger.

Sending positive energy your way and trusting you'll find a way to keep going.

Man Kim Im feelin for you young brotha, Our thoughts r with u..
    Last edited by Stormycoon; 11-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Hi Kimsoon84,
    I have been reading your posts, and I'm sorry to hear of your concerns.
    Would you consider helping other quadriplegics who are living in Malaysia?
    You could start by making the local government leaders aware of the problems of a quadriplegic living at home and needing care. How about this: start making a few phone calls and see if you can talk to some official person; call the newspaper and ask them to do a story on services or lack of, for spinal cord injured! No, not necessarily about you, but about quadriplegics in Malaysia - it's such an important issue! Do you realize the power you have to make change happen? Do you know of any other quads or non-disabled who would share the need for change in policies, services for quads in your country?
    I hope you will consider taking these kinds of steps - no, not steps with your legs, but steps toward your passion for proper care for yourself and others in the same situation.
    Very best to you.....

Banned
    I agree school is a great option, you'll also have more money and as someone stated money makes the world go round. You can also help relieve your family.

Thanks for all the encouragement, suggestion, kindness and concern.
    Sorry for no reply because I'm in pain, my health condition really disturbing me.

Everyone thinks of suicide especially if someone they know ends his/her life or you hear about someone committing suicide on the news.
    But actually committing suicide yourself is a different story. At times over the years since my injury I've definitely thought of suicide as being dead seemed better than being alive especially when there was seemingly no escape from the endless chronic excruciating neurogenic pain, dependence on others for 95% of person care needs, feeling isolated and being frustrated a not reaching personal like getting married, etc., etc., etc., etc.,... Even when I feel miserable and as one older person put it I have "rabbits running around in my head" I can find something positive or distracting. Christina Symanski and her actions enter my thoughts at times...still, I don't think I could repeat her actions that ended her life...it would be too hard on my family members (especially my mother).
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust