Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Using Microcyn/Vetericyn for Bladder Wash

Using Microcyn/Vetericyn for Bladder Wash

Hello to all members. I am new to this forum and have joined because my husband has Multiple Sclerosis and suffers continual UTI's which have become resistant to all oral and some IV antibiotics. He is so ill with it now that I am very worried about his future. However, I have read with interest some of the members experiences with Microcyn and Vetericyn to treat UTI's. I have ordered some of the Vetericyn to try a bladder/urethral wash but am worried that it may affect the plastic urethral catheter that my husband has inserted all the time. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else who has a urethral catheter has tried the Vetericyn to rinse their bladder/urethra and if so, how they actually inserted the solution and if it helped at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Anne View Post
    Hello to all members. I am new to this forum and have joined because my husband has Multiple Sclerosis and suffers continual UTI's which have become resistant to all oral and some IV antibiotics. He is so ill with it now that I am very worried about his future. However, I have read with interest some of the members experiences with Microcyn and Vetericyn to treat UTI's. I have ordered some of the Vetericyn to try a bladder/urethral wash but am worried that it may affect the plastic urethral catheter that my husband has inserted all the time. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else who has a urethral catheter has tried the Vetericyn to rinse their bladder/urethra and if so, how they actually inserted the solution and if it helped at all.
    Hello Elizabeth,

You can search through these threads and read the ones that refer to Microsyn or Vetericyn. Personally, I have been using it three times a week. It not harm your husbands catheter. It has eliminated the uti's I have been having for many years. Just insert into his catheter and clamp of for a while.

Leila will probably post here with more precise instructions.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Hi Elizabeth,
    Welcome to the Care Cure Community. Much has been written here about Microcyn/Vetericyn/Puracyn (M/V/P). One of the most interesting things about this technology is that it is so gently. People use it in their eyes, mouth, and even in respirators. There is nothing in the formulation that would harm human tissue or manufactured materials any more than water. Just today on this forum, I read about a small child who is incontinent, whose mother soaks her catheters in Vetericyn. You shouldn't have any worries about using it in a latex, silicone, or rubber catheter.

All the best,
    GJ

Elizabeth,

If your husband is on antibiotics, stay on them for the full course.

You will need to instill 60 cc Vetericyn twice a day in order to effectively deal with this problem. I like to do it twelve hours apart, morning and evening. How long you keep it in the bladder depends on several factors--which formula you are using is probably the most important. If it is the regular Vetericyn (blue bottles) start with ten minutes and build up one minute per day till you get to twenty or twenty five minutes. If you have the strong formula (Vetericyn VF--white bottles) you might have to keep it in for shorter periods if he has any bladder spasms or bowel issues.

One thing you need to be aware of is that this treatment takes a lot of Vetericyn, and if you run out half way through, things will just get worse. There are 473 ml in each bottle--so you need to do the math. It will cost you--this product is not cheap. But it is an investment worth making. The company that puts out Microcyn (the same formula as regular Vetericyn) is currently working on reimbursement by Medicare/Medicaid/Medi-Cal, and hopefully that will break soon. But until then, people have to resign themselves to spending the money that is required.

I spend a lot for V each month, but my husband is safe and well--no longer having his life threatened by terrible bouts of hemorrhagic cystitis that would sometimes develop from his infections. Everything's OK now.

Good luck!

Susanne

Welcome Elizabeth, why I can't speak for the wash that you asked about because I have not tried it, I have considered it before but luckily my husband has been free and clear from uti's for awhile now. Occasionally I will give him a teaspoon of cream of tarter in a warm glass of water and so far that has worked. However, if it quits working I am on board too. My husband also suffers from MS so if you feel the need to talk or I can help with any MS related questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Lisa

thanks to all for your messages/help. I will try the Vetericyn. It is the regular version as that is all I can find in the UK. I will let people know how we get on. If I can be of help to anyone else regarding any MS related issues, I will do my best to provide useful information.

Elizabeth Anne

My husband has just asked the question in response to Leila's thread. What do you mean when you say "if you run out half way through"? I.e. is a full treatment until the UTI has gone or is it necessary to stay on 60cc x 2/day all the time. We are just trying to plan our finances as we will not be reimbursed for this product in the UK and I have only found one supplier so far over here. I have currently ordered 4 x 500ml Vetericyn regular.

What do you mean when you say "if you run out half way through"? I.e. is a full treatment until the UTI has gone or is it necessary to stay on 60cc x 2/day all the time.
    Sorry I wasn't more clear Elizabeth. No, you won't have to stay on twice a day--you can drop down to once a day after he stabilizes. But be careful not to quit the double instillations too soon. Much of this you have to work out for yourself, as it is different with each case.

Keep checking to see if the Microcyn becomes reimbursable in the UK--I think I heard something about that coming up.

Good Luck!

Susanne

Thanks to Leila for the extra advice. Our Vetericyn and syringes have arrived now so we will be giving it a go in the morning (we're both feeling a bit nervous but optimistic at the same time).

Will update in the near future.

Today, I underwent a cystoscopy and recieved botox injections for my bladder at OHSU hospital in Portland.My urologist said that my bladder looked "normal" and was especialy impressed, since I have had a suprapubic catheter for 20 years.

My urine culture is clear and my bloodwork is excellent with no evidence of infections.

I instill vetericyn in my bladder on a daily basis.