Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, so nervous

For styarters, you have a great chair to work with. I'd move the back angle forward to 90 or 92o and lower it at least an inch or 1 1/2". That'll get you sitting straighter and less slump plus you won't be hitting the back of your arms when wheeling.. Was there a calf strap that went with the chair. it'l keep your feet from coming off the back. The wheels look at least 24".

If you don't have an instruction manual you can download one from Tilite.com. Larger front wheels may help also but we can talk about that once you do the back stuff.

It'l be an efficient chair and you'll be whizzing around in no time.

I would say lower the back 4 to 6 inches it's very tall. And change the angle of it to somewhere between 90 and 95 degrees and see how that feels. It looks like it's over 100 degrees now. Move the axle(center of gravity) forward at least 2 if not 3 inches and raise the axle up at least an inch until you finger is at the center of the wheel when your arms are hanging down like in the photo. Then adjust the front caster barrel angle so it's 90 degrees to the floor. The chair will probably feel "tippy" at first but you'll adjust to it. Play with the COG until it feels comfortable. Might want a spotter behind you while testing so you don't flip backwards. The frame length looks a few inches too long for you but there's not much you can do about that aside from re-drilling the backrest bracket holes more forward. The 24" wheels you have are fine you just have to get your body positioned around them better.
    Last edited by pattherat; 03-07-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Hey Oli.... Listen to Pattherat.... He knows what he is talking about!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

BTW Welcome to this forum! I'm sorry to here that you've gone so long without having your disability diagnosed but it's good to hear that the chair is helping you get more mobile.

For the armrest bolt go here: http://www.southwestmedical.com/repl...ite/tilite-zra
    Last edited by pattherat; 03-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Whew, lot of info. You guys are amazing! Thanks.

Ok, so I can either try and make the adjustments myself or beg the people who helped me last time... I 'think' I understand it all. Basically, lower the entire 'seat' front and back. The back I can see how to do and the front it looks like I do it by adjusting the casters. Then lean the seat back forward, I am guessing that 95 will be more comfy for me than 90.

Yep, the seat is a hair long so I set the seat cushion back a little bit and that helps. There isn't any huge problem with it being a bit long that I can tell yet. I mean it is 'comfortable' so far.

Are my wheels actually 24 inches? The guy who sold me the chair called them 22's?

Thanks so much!!!!

Its hard to tell from the photo and for some reason I was thinking it was an AeroZ so you probably won't be able to adjust the front caster barrel angle other than raising the front caster wheel up a hole(only needed if you decide to lower the rear seat height). But definitely lower that backrest height, it's most likely how you pinched a nerve by your shoulder blade. And yes they are 24".

It is a ZRA.

That is just so many adjustments. I am doubting I can do them myself. I really wish the people that helped me last time were a little nicer. The woman I emailed seems totally uninterested in helping me again. The other people were great, I don't know why this particular woman doesn't seem to like me. Maybe she is just busy and I am reading too much into it...?

I just don't know how to do all this stuff myself. I am a bit overwhelmed.

OK, I have decided to bypass the woman who doesn't seem to like me and just call the place in the morning and talk to the nice guy who uses all the tools who gave me his card. He doesn't necessarily understand what should be where, but he does the actual adjustments if you tell him what to do.... I want to make a simple list to give him

So, I want to make sure the seatback ends up at 95 degrees.

I want to lower the seatback about 3 inches (not 'too' low or else my hubby will bend over too much when he pushes me up the big hills)

I want to move the casters up a hole so that the front of the chair is lower....

...So that I can also lower the back of the chair so that my fingers are at the center of the wheel.

Then I might want to move the wheels forward, except I am worried abut tippiness. I am not very skilled yet to deal with that. Maybe that could be a later adjustment when I get the hang of things better?

I 'think' I understand all that. But, how much dump can I plan on? I actually am not quite sure how much I have right now. I prefer my knees to be up a bit as it is more comfortable so I know I would like a bit of dump but how do I factor that into all the adjustments?

If I can give this guy a list of exactly what I want he will do it for me, no prob.

Theoretically I could even have him re-drill to move the seatback forward but I am not sure what kind of problems having a too long seat will cause if any. Is it worth it to have him do this or should I just still with all the other adjustments and not worry about the seat length?

Again, I can't thank you guys enough. I am learning SO much!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    Then I might want to move the wheels forward, except I am worried abut tippiness. I am not very skilled yet to deal with that. Maybe that could be a later adjustment when I get the hang of things better?

Theoretically I could even have him re-drill to move the seatback forward but I am not sure what kind of problems having a too long seat will cause if any. Is it worth it to have him do this or should I just still with all the other adjustments and not worry about the seat length?
    I would get the other adjustments done first and then start fine-tuning the rear wheel placement (aka center-of-gravity). You have the best chair for a new user, it is completely adjustable. All you need is the time and patience to get it dialled in.

As for the seat depth I wouldn't worry too much about it because you have feeling. If it bothers the back of your knees I wouldn't recommend drilling holes in the frame to move the backrest. Instead you could have the seat-sling and strips that attach it to the frame trimmed (shortened) and position the cushion further back, or the worst case scenario buy a shorter cushion. I've done this modification myself on the same chair, if you need me to post some pics I can.

I think her body will move forward after she moves the back forward. That should push her backside forward a bit also. If it feels too long you can always cut the seat upholstery to fit. Normally we use two or three finger widths distance between the back of the knees and seat upholstery. Placing your feet a bit forward on the footrest will also give you a bit more room. When you see the guy changing it, get a calf strap, that'll help with keeping your feet in the proper position.

I'm not a big fan of doing any drilling on the frame if you don't need to. There are a lot of other ways to move you forward; a lumbar cushion would do that also.