Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, so nervous

Newbie, so nervous

First off I have to say that I may be in completely the wrong place and if so I am SO sorry and would it be possible to direct me elsewhere...

I am a new manual wheelchair user. I am not paralyzed but have been in such intense pain from standing and walking that I spent 2 years housebound and several more years before that minimally leaving the house. Dr.'s are clueless as to what is wrong with me and don't seem to care enough to look and basically tell me I am crazy and to take an Advil. Not helping...

It was finally suggested to me to try a wheelchair and see if that could help me actually leave the house with less fear of pain.

So I did as much research as I could and purchased a used wheelchair, TiLite ZRA, that had pretty darn close measurements. Of course insurance did not cover anything so I have paid out of pocket which is pretty difficult for me.

So, hopefully it is OK that I am posting here for this question....

It seems to me that my wheels are kind of small. I was told they are 22's. I am a 6 foot tall woman and I feel like I am sitting on top of the wheels and can't get a good enough push to get that far. I feel like having larger wheels would make pushing easier and make me go further on each push, is this correct?

Also since the ZRA seems to be super adjustable are there any adjustments that could be made to make this problem a little less of a problem? Obviously I can't afford to get larger wheels as much as I would like to...

My other problem is that the place that did a little repair on my wheels (they weren't locking and were slipping right out) doesn't seem to like me and won't answer these questions. I paid them per hour to fix my wheels but when I emailed them to ask them this question and to let them know that I lost one of the little bolts for my armrest all they said was that they were specialty bolts and I should look at a hardware store...

So my question went unanswered and I am boltless and armrestless!

Thank you for reading my questions,
    Oli

Hi and welcome to CareCure. You are most certainly welcome here and you have posted in the correct forum. As far as the wheel problem goes, the only thing I can think of is moving your center of gravity forward which would mean you wouldn't have to reach as far back to push, but it would not help heighth wise. The other thing is it makes your chair more tippy if you move the center of gravity forward. Keep an eye on ebay as sometimes deals on Spinergy wheels pop up. Also keep an eye on the Equipment and Services section here.

As far as the bolts, I am not entirely sure what kind of bolts you need. Do you have the one from the other armrest? Take it to the hardware store and ask if they can point you in the right direction.

Hope This Helps!

WG

If you can post some pictures of your chair, people might be of more help. Look on the side of the rear tires and it will have some numbers that will tell us the size. Something like 37-540 or 24x 1/38. Let us know.

We can help Oli, sory to hear you are having such challenges. 6' person needs bigger wheels than 22". If you change out your wheels, you'll need to alter the chair also, we can help with that too.

Photos of the chair and perhaps one side view with you in it would help a lot. You can hurt your shoulders if the chair is not properly set up.

Hi Oli,
    to the Care Cure Community. There are a lot of people here with a good deal of knowledge about wheelchairs. It is important to get the right equipment so that you are comfortable in the chair and don't cause more pain by hurting yourself while you are pushing yourself around. Do you use a wheelchair cushion or do you sit on the sling seat. Even though you are not paralyzed and have full tactile sense, the right seat cushion can do a lot to position you in the chair comfortably.

All the best,
    GJ

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for replying!

I will get my hubby to take some pics of me in it this evening if I can. His camera may have broken. I will have to check it out.

Funny that you mention hurting yourself with the wrong configuration because I pinched a nerve in between my shoulder blade and spine from rolling around yesterday.

I have a Matrix-vi cushion that is amazing. I have gone half a day in it with zero pain. I love it. I have never been without pain before!

I will get to work on gathering the info you guys need to help me.

I guess it is making sense why the guy didn't want his manual wheelchair anymore and sold it to me. He 'said' he was just too old and lazy but I bet that wasn't true, just that he had the wrong sized wheels!

It is so kind of you guys to help me out!

Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    First off I have to say that I may be in completely the wrong place and if so I am SO sorry and would it be possible to direct me elsewhere...

I am a new manual wheelchair user. I am not paralyzed but have been in such intense pain from standing and walking that I spent 2 years housebound and several more years before that minimally leaving the house. Dr.'s are clueless as to what is wrong with me and don't seem to care enough to look and basically tell me I am crazy and to take an Advil. Not helping...

It was finally suggested to me to try a wheelchair and see if that could help me actually leave the house with less fear of pain.

So I did as much research as I could and purchased a used wheelchair, TiLite ZRA, that had pretty darn close measurements. Of course insurance did not cover anything so I have paid out of pocket which is pretty difficult for me.

So, hopefully it is OK that I am posting here for this question....

It seems to me that my wheels are kind of small. I was told they are 22's. I am a 6 foot tall woman and I feel like I am sitting on top of the wheels and can't get a good enough push to get that far. I feel like having larger wheels would make pushing easier and make me go further on each push, is this correct?

Also since the ZRA seems to be super adjustable are there any adjustments that could be made to make this problem a little less of a problem? Obviously I can't afford to get larger wheels as much as I would like to...

My other problem is that the place that did a little repair on my wheels (they weren't locking and were slipping right out) doesn't seem to like me and won't answer these questions. I paid them per hour to fix my wheels but when I emailed them to ask them this question and to let them know that I lost one of the little bolts for my armrest all they said was that they were specialty bolts and I should look at a hardware store...

So my question went unanswered and I am boltless and armrestless!

Thank you for reading my questions,
    Oli

22" are too little wheels, go for 24".
    About bolts you`ve got everything here just find your measurement, read the bolt measurement guide you`ve got down in the left.

For example, the bolt of the pic is a socket cap bolt M6 x 50mm that you could find it no problems here

Gosh I hope the pic worked. I just just took one from the side. First time I have seen myself in it. I am a bit slouchy although the slouchy angle of my hips is actually really comfortable with my pain issue...

I am guessing that the chair is a bit tippy already because of the seat back angle leaning back a bit? Hmmmm

I also have pics of the chair by itself from every angle, do you guys need to see any of those?

The numbers on the tires are 37-540 (24x1 3/8)

I will do the measuring the for bolt. Wow that is a bit confusing for my brain!

Considering how much the chair already cost I am concerned about having to purchase a whole new set of wheels. How much might that cost me?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Jim; 03-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Wow, sorry that was such a big picture. Ack!

Hi Oli, People here are the best for info. Hope you get what you need.