Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new weight shift timer app for iPhone

new weight shift timer app for iPhone

Hey all,

My nephew recently became an SCI C6 patient and is in rehab at Magee in Philly. As you all know, weight shifting needs to be done consistently throughout the day. For new SCI patients, this can be easy to forget, so I developed a little iPhone app - wsTimer - that gives the patient an audible reminder when to start weight shift and end it, then restarting the sequence. As per Magee instructions - the weight shift in the wheel chair is 5 minutes long, with 30 minutes between shifts.

This is just the first cut of the app - with updates coming - user definable event durations and intervals, etc.

It's free, so give it a try if interested - if any ideas on improvement, let me know - this is a work in progress, and if there is anything I can do, I'll do it!

You can download it from the Apple APP store - search for wsTimer, quadriplegic, or weight shift. Should work on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
    Last edited by tweaver60; 03-07-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Learn from the past, but always look forward...

We teach weight shifts for 15 seconds every 15 minutes for most. You should consider adjusting the ap so this can be selected, or have a different one available.

(KLD)

Yes, I will be adding that functionality to the next version - should be out this week - user definable durations

Thanks!

wsTimer App version 1.1 available any day

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We teach weight shifts for 15 seconds every 15 minutes for most. You should consider adjusting the ap so this can be selected, or have a different one available.

(KLD)
    Version 1.1 will have user definable times for time between weight shifts, weight shift durations and how long out you want to schedule weight shift notifications - should be approved any day by Apple

UPDATE:: It's out an available for download from the App store!
    Last edited by tweaver60; 03-12-2011 at 09:01 AM.

awesome tw.

Agreed, that's an excellent idea.

spam

Awesome! Absolutely great, wish there were more people in the world like you.
    I will tweet this to try and get the info out there!

greetings and thanks for the work!

my father-in-law was at magee (room 546) up until the middle of last week - went to Lourdes for flap surgery, and, as of monday night, just started his bed rest at cooper river west in camden.

i was at the nursing home with him last night debating options for weight shift/turning timers, and that led me to find your app - the only issue is that we cannot seem to get it working properly, as there are no alerts that pop up or alarms that go off when it is time...

any ideas? (iphone 4 and 3GS, software v. 4.3)

Awesome idea! I am downloading this on my iphone right now. Thanks for creating this app!

Quote Originally Posted by sandor View Post

i was at the nursing home with him last night debating options for weight shift/turning timers, and that led me to find your app - the only issue is that we cannot seem to get it working properly, as there are no alerts that pop up or alarms that go off when it is time...

any ideas? (iphone 4 and 3GS, software v. 4.3)
    Thanks for using the app - I assume you are trying to use the timer in the background mode - this is highly recommended. If so, make sure you set up the durations. If you have and your still not getting anything sounds, check your volume. Also, to get a visual alert, be sure to set the Show Notifications to ON - if this is not set, you will only get a audio alert, and if the sound is turned down, you may not even hear it.

Also, make sure the app goes into the background (just hit your home button once) - this works by using local notifications, which will only show up when the app that scheduled them is in the background. I know this seems odd, but that's how Apple has structured local notifications. I'm working on the next version will attempt to alert when it is the current app. The foreground mode works fine, but it has to be in foreground all the time, and your phone never goes into auto-lock (General setting that must set to never).

Hope this helps - My nephew is still at Magee, we may have passed in the halls at sometime - good luck with everything.

Let me know if you can't get this to work - we'll figure it out!
    Last edited by tweaver60; 03-31-2011 at 05:42 PM.