Thread: chances of cure

chances of cure

I was just wondering if any of the clinical trials would benefit me.It seems that t-12 is excluded from most or all of trials.

Quote Originally Posted by cwa67 View Post
    I was just wondering if any of the clinical trials would benefit me.It seems that t-12 is excluded from most or all of trials.
    I hope this will change soon when the clinical trials involving neural stem cells begin to show results. Several groups are transplanting such cells into the spinal cords of patients with ALS to replace neurons. This is what is needed for patients with lumbosacral injuries. The lumbosacral spinal cord is located in the T11-L1 vertebral segments.

We are looking at and planning clinical trials for patients with T11-L1 injuries. Much depends on the availability of immune-compatible neural stem cells. They are just now becoming available and we are following the progress of the phase 1 trials and also preclinical studies of such cells closely.

I already announced that there will be a clinical trial of neural stem cells that will be start at Stanford University this month (Source). Those results will be interesting. NeuralStemCells recently transplanted neural stem cells into 9 patients with ALS at Emory University. So, things are happening.

Wise.

Would this also help ischemic paralysis..

Dr. Young,

You had mentioned in the past that ischemic paralysis affects the gray matter. Would this clinical trial from StemCells also help with this condition.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by findacure View Post
    Dr. Young,

You had mentioned in the past that ischemic paralysis affects the gray matter. Would this clinical trial from StemCells also help with this condition.

Thank you.
    findacure,

It depends on the level of injury. Most ischemic paralysis involves the thoracic spinal cord where the gray matter is minimal and affect some abdomenal muscles. But, some people have ischemic lesions of the lower spinal cord and, in that case, what I said concerning lumbosacral injury would apply to ischemic injuries as well.

Wise.

And at the C6 area?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    And at the C6 area?
    I have always believed that cervical injuries cause significant loss of motor function due to gray matter loss. So, I want to extend the trials to C6 injuries as well. Let's see how successful we are. We have a ways to go before convincing the doctors in the field. Wise.

Ty Dr Wise Young
    I have Cervical and would do anything to go for it > I have loss of motor function It is hard on my left side immensely . ( Like A Stroke Person )
    Granted everyone has a little different injury / problem
    How far away do you think we are ?

This actually brought tears to my eyes . I wish I lived in a Harry Potters world of sorts .

Sincerely ;
    Judy

We are all naturally most excited by trials and rapid progress towards effective treatments for injuries at our own particular level of injury. Specific levels of injury undoubtedly present specific hurdles to overcome and specific approaches to treatment. However, I would expect that success with trials at any particular level can only accelerate progress towards treatments for other levels, hence whatever level of injury is targeted by a particular trial I prefer to see it as part of the bigger picture of spinal cord injury research.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I have always believed that cervical injuries cause significant loss of motor function due to gray matter loss. So, I want to extend the trials to C6 injuries as well. Let's see how successful we are. We have a ways to go before convincing the doctors in the field. Wise.
    My biggest deficit is in the trunk area or I'd be walking by now. Scoliosis is hitting hard so I'm not a fan of the 'doctors in the field'.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

cheer up kid

After so many years of spinal cord injury, I too have become a skeptic. From fetal grafts, to autologous grafts, to porcine grafts, I've read/heard about/seen it all.

I used to blame the Republicans. Those self-serving cross burners deserve blame for alot, believe me. But not for this....

I've made REAL strides in the last year since I've found a real physiotherapist to work with. He works the margin of my injury...the boundary of my function. And its working . I'm a T5 ASIA "complete." I can only NOW learn forward putting my chest to my knees..and lean back, sitting up. Let me repeat that..I have T5 complete paraplegic... I now have lumbar level paraspinal and abdominal function. I've done biofeedback..I've done acupuncture. I'm NOW doing physio.. And I'm getting better, like for REAL.

We may indeed find therapies for our community which improve our function a great deal. But for every stride we make, we'll sweat 1000x what we thought was needed. Sitting up....sitting straight is a real game changer for me. I wouldn't even consider a biological intervention while I'm getting better...

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Ty Dr Wise Young
    I have Cervical and would do anything to go for it > I have loss of motor function It is hard on my left side immensely . ( Like A Stroke Person )
    Granted everyone has a little different injury / problem
    How far away do you think we are ?

This actually brought tears to my eyes . I wish I lived in a Harry Potters world of sorts .

Sincerely ;
    Judy