Thread: C5-6 quad looking for new manual chair

C5-6 quad looking for new manual chair

Hi All,

I've reviewed several older threads on this subject but would like to air it again with another angle.

I'm 28+ years in the chair and have had 2 manuals in that time: a Quadra and a Quickie GP, both with swing away leg rests. I don't count the 75 lb tank by Rolls I started out in!!

Anywho, I'm looking to go to a completely rigid frame with fixed leg rests. A few years back I started doing all my transfers with a SureHands lift, eliminating my need for the swing away leg rests.

So there are the standard issues to account for:

• Need to take my tie-down for driving the van
    • Want some adjustability to dial it in "just right

And then the x-factor: I'm 6' 8" all stretched out. That puts me way out of the usual design specs for anything and everything crip. I have to max out back height to get the support I need to be stable and need lots of leg rest. Balance that with keeping my overall knee height down to something that lets me get under most tables. I also have to factor in any changes to make sure my van remains drivable. E.g. must watch front-to-back length changes and overall height changes.

Anywho, I'm starting the research and thought I'd cast this out to you all. I've got a lot of miles on my arms and figure this may be the last manual I get.

Any tall wheelies out there have a favorite chair?
    Cheers,

Gc.
    "Life is full of froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone.
    Kindness for another's trouble, courage for your own."

You are one tall dude, that has to make it hard to set up a chair.

We must have had our accidents around the same time, Aug. 1982 here, and I started in a Rolls as well.

I also drive from my chair; a little over a year ago I too switched to a rigid and went with the TiLite TR.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    You are one tall dude, that has to make it hard to set up a chair.

We must have had our accidents around the same time, Aug. 1982 here, and I started in a Rolls as well.

I also drive from my chair; a little over a year ago I too switched to a rigid and went with the TiLite TR.
    Brotha, you ain't kiddin'! My tenure in this gig can be charatcerized by the saying "But it's maxed out already"! I always seem to find something that fits eventually.

I joined the club in June of 82. 28+ years for us both. Way to go!

I'll research the TiLite TR. Thanks for the input.
    Cheers,

Gc.

Are we startng a 20 and over club? haha
    I'm going on 26 years. Be interesting to see who here has been in a chair the longest. I'm betting on either AncientGimp or SCIfor55yrs.

Ha, I think I've you all beat. My injury was April '82. I was using the Quickie 2HP for the longest time, but I had to push up this nasty hill at work every day and my shoulder started having issues. So, in '95 I went back to an electric (P200). It took a while to adjust my self-esteem, but I have to say, I don't regret it all. I am so much more active and independent now. I'm not cautious about where I go, or the terrain or slope or anything. I climb major hills, move heavy things like furniture, do woodworking and other shop stuff, have a free hand to carry things or hold onto them, and just get around so much faster. The only thing I need now is one of Pat's beach power chairs.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Are we startng a 20 and over club? haha
    I'm going on 26 years. Be interesting to see who here has been in a chair the longest. I'm betting on either AncientGimp or SCIfor55yrs.
    A C5-6 friend of mine is working on 43 years. He's set the bar VERY high for us!
    Cheers,

Gc.

I have a lengthy friend thats a wheeler as well he uses a quickie gpv , they are available in a length/depth to 22 inches and are available wit the fixed leg rest as well... also they have the lower frame rail to be able to put the ezlock mounting bracket on to drive with ...and is very adjustable too....