Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Para Job Ideas?

Drew, I retired from voc. rehab. counseling after 20 yrs. I did field work visiting my clients who were in training, college, and evaluation programs, along with "desk work", using a computer and meeting in office with clients.
    Just a suggestion that I hope you start school sooner rather than later. It often happens that career choices become easier as you continue in school and see what's out there that you like.
    You seem to love working around people, and not alone at a desk or computer - per your love of the cosmetology job. Look at your strengths and interests, not "what job is accessible for a wheelchair".
    Start with a 2 yr. college if you don't want to go to a 4 year. You can
    always transfer later if you wish.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by triumph; 05-25-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Any thoughts on an ultrasound tech??
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

I don't see being a ultrasound tech being feasible from a chair, There is a lot of manouvering of patients, reaching and manouvering into strange positions. Clearence issues in accessing the exam table and the machine.

Disability Resources at a university is something I would have liked to have done. It really didn't exist when I was in school.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Before my accident I was a dental assistant enrolled in college to become a dental hygienist. It was one of those things I just fell out of interest. Can it be done? Yes. Actually, I think it would be a good job for a para because it is a flexible job. Having a lot of friends in that field I've been hearing that getting a full time job in one office is hard to find. A lot of people work 1 day here, 1 day there at a couple of different offices. In that aspect I think it would be good, because you could choose your schedule.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Princess Sara's response is a good one....Architecture!

You can either go the university/college degree route, which is long (like up to 7 years) and if it's anything like Australia fees are in excess of $100,000 and you will work hard for to gain a degree, once out of uni you will have to instantly set up a practice and take on any work you can get...even internationally.

OR

You can become a draftsperson, which you can either do by gaining a small degree in Architectural Drafting or by swinging some work experience with an architect. If you go in with a full understanding of AutoCad, i reckon they might even employ you then and there as a draftsperson..

Learning AutoCad or any design software is NOT easy though, some sort of course or training is a must. Because if you manage to talk an architect or designer into taking you on you will be expected to start churning out work.

If you find a firm that is prepared to take you on and engage you in on the job training even better...BUT, you will need to show a real passion for the job and be prepared to just answer the phone etc. for a little while.

...Oh i didn't mention the main concern of the topic.

You can draw plans from your chair on a computer, even in the old days when hand drawing was around you could work from a chair, but in the old days they didnt have the 'net etc. so these days a lot of architecture is a desk job!

I work from home myself as a design draftie, it's way cool.

If you're just looking for a job and not a career, what about part-time at your local hospital? Switchboard, medical records (typing and filing electronically now), ward clerk ... possibilities are endless. Personally I found hospitals to be the most inaccessible places ... but that was in Canada. Might be different in Michigan. 2000+ employees and I made several life-long friends there.

When I worked at one back in my early twenties, there were benefits, the option for pension and the occasional chance at full-time if you wanted it, etc but it was a unionized environment.

Or medical coding .. I think there are quick courses you can take even online. I know some doctors here used to get people to do that on the side for them and pay cash (again in Canada). Medical/dental receptionist?

DMV? Board of education? A bank (most have the accessible countertop)?

I'd recommend police/fire dispatch but it sucked up my entire life and I barely had time for a life outside of that ... don't think that's what you're looking for. Pays extremely well, excellent benefits and retirement, etc ... but it'll kill ya! lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12