Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterilize 60 cc syringe

Sterilize 60 cc syringe

I've recenty started using a foley catheter and I think its a good practice to do an irrigation in the morning when I start passing mucous etc. I have read where KLD suggest using a dishwasher for reusing them. I don't have one.
    What about stove top boilng? How hot would the water have to be. This is a plunger syringe, would it get distorted. After boiling how should it be stored.
    FYI, I would not use the hot water faucet in my 100 year old house. The water around the toilet rim is black and I can't get rid of it. Heavy metals?
    One more thing. I dont plan on using the syringe more that 3 or 4 times. I get 3 a month.
    Thanks, Dan
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

Autoclaving, as used in hospitals and clinics "sterilizes" with steam pressure at 121°C for 20 minutes. Without this equipment, at best, you will be highly "disinfecting" the syringes by boiling for 20 minutes and then placing them in a clean zip lock bag. If you want to use a "clean" technique, you can wash the syringes with soap and hot water and/or soak in alcohol, then rinse and air dry between clean paper towels.

What do you use to irrigate the catheter/bladder? You might consider reading the thread on microcyn/vetericyn/puracyn (M/V/P) and using it to irrigate or instill in your bladder. M/V/P is super-oxidized water, sometimes called EOW—electrolyzed oxidizing water. It kill bacteria, viruses and fungus.
    Link: ttp://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133414
    According to proponents of M/V/P, you would only need to use a clean syringe.

All the best,
    GJ

I wash it with hot water and soap, then put it in a 1:4 bleach:water solution overnight.

I do irrigation / instillation w/ a neosporin solution on a daily basis. The nurse at my urologist recommended cleaning with alcohol / water mix and air dry. ( sorry i can't remember the ratio alcohol/water).

Partially from being lazy and already having too much disability equipment to manage I went to buying syringes out of pocket and it's worked out well for me in reducing incidence of UTI's and using a new sterile syringe daily.

I get boxes of 25 syringes with cath tip @ 8.99 per box. It's from a Vet supply but I don't see any differences form Med syringes I have paid more for.

This is one site I use to purchase.
    http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/ve...es-and-needles

It's been worth it for me to spend more money because the results have been about 70% decrease in UTI's.

Not an answer to your cleaning question but another option to consider.
    good luck

Either putting the syringe in a bleach solution or an alcohol solution overnight would be best, as stovetop boiling will distort the plunger for sure. I would use alcohol as it smells a lot better. Just be very careful around it with flame/cigs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I do irrigation / instillation w/ a neosporin solution on a daily basis. The nurse at my urologist recommended cleaning with alcohol / water mix and air dry. ( sorry i can't remember the ratio alcohol/water).

Partially from being lazy and already having too much disability equipment to manage I went to buying syringes out of pocket and it's worked out well for me in reducing incidence of UTI's and using a new sterile syringe daily.

I get boxes of 25 syringes with cath tip @ 8.99 per box. It's from a Vet supply but I don't see any differences form Med syringes I have paid more for.

It's been worth it for me to spend more money because the results have been about 70% decrease in UTI's.

good luck
    THANKS ALOT. This is a no brainer. I have been UTI free for along time, but I do want to irrigate every other day OR so to be on the safe side.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

good luck
    chesbay,
    are they individually packed like med syringes., I mean are they sterile ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinshin View Post
    chesbay,
    are they individually packed like med syringes., I mean are they sterile ?
    Yes, individually wrapped and sterile. 25 per box.

If you have to reuse them, cleaning them with bleach and water is probably the best way to go. Boiling will make them distorted.

If you can swing using a sterile one each time, that is probably the best way to go. However, since you are at home, and I am assuming that you are handling your own equipment, clean technique is the second best way to go.

CKF

Cool

Yes, individually wrapped and sterile. 25 per box.
    thnx chesBay.
    guys,,please contribute if u know any places for cheap n best syringes. btw is the 60cc max that we can get ?