Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Sienna ramp/door issue

Issues with my 2004 IMS (Braun) Toyota Sienna Door. The dealer said the motor is seizing up causing the cable that opens/closes my door to snap.

He said I need a new motor and cable. With labor, they would bill me $3,200.00. What’s an alternate, less costly solution? Can I buy the motor and have my mechanic install it? Is that a Toyota part or an IMS part?

Advice will be appreciated.

Since I don’t want to throw that much money to fix a door in an otherwise perfectly working van with 88,000 miles, he generously offered the solution to trade it in for one of the vans in their inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    Issues with my 2004 IMS (Braun) Toyota Sienna Door. The dealer said the motor is seizing up causing the cable that opens/closes my door to snap.

He said I need a new motor and cable. With labor, they would bill me $3,200.00. What?s an alternate, less costly solution? Can I buy the motor and have my mechanic install it? Is that a Toyota part or an IMS part?

Advice will be appreciated.

Since I don?t want to throw that much money to fix a door in an otherwise perfectly working van with 88,000 miles, he generously offered the solution to trade it in for one of the vans in their inventory.
    It seems to me the door motor works should be Toyota. My 2002 Caravan motor works are Dodge. Either way any competent willing mechanic can replace parts. I'm not so competent, but I replaced motor parts in my slider. And I did it without removing my fold out ramp. If you have a slide out ramp, it should be a piece of cake in comparison.

That said I am a little skeptical of the diagnosis. I'd take the inner door panel off first and check closely to be sure what is wrong.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thank you nonoise.

I'm always skeptical of handicap van dealerships' repair departments. Once your vehicle is out of warranty, the repair are usually so expensive and trading in the vehicle for a new one seems to be a their top solution. The options are limited for drivers with disabilities since the equipment is unfamiliar to most mechanics.

Dealership service departments seem in favor of replacing the parts too instead of repairing them.

I did find the part I need for considerably less on the Internet and a mechanic that can install it.

It might take a few hours to repair, but you have a fine van with very low mileage, definitely worth the repair.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I'm not so competent, but I replaced motor parts in my slider. And I did it without removing my fold out ramp. If you have a slide out ramp, it should be a piece of cake in comparison.
    You are like a Ninja! Can you come and fix mine?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    You are like a Ninja! Can you come and fix mine?
    Is your door acting up? Diagnosis is the hard part. The rest is replacing parts, being mindful of newer electronic restraints.
    I was lucky and got Rollx help me diagnose mine on the phone since they consider me as if I had purchased the van from them. Plus they furnish conversion repair manuals for their product.

Unfortunately I don't have a place to work on it except the rainy parking lot. The door is jammed. Was lucky to find an AB to slam it shut lol. There are only 3 rollers I think. One or more of the rollers must be locked up. I'm ready to take a pry bar to it. Probably just end up donating it because if I can't maintain it what is the point of having it. Shame it runs well with only 75,000 miles. It could be something simple like one of the interior panels came loose and got stuck where it should not have.

Agree diagnosis is the hard part. How hard would it be to hot wire the ramp motor lol.
    Thxs for the reply
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Unfortunately I don't have a place to work on it except the rainy parking lot. The door is jammed. Was lucky to find an AB to slam it shut lol. There are only 3 rollers I think. One or more of the rollers must be locked up. I'm ready to take a pry bar to it. Probably just end up donating it because if I can't maintain it what is the point of having it. Shame it runs well with only 75,000 miles. It could be something simple like one of the interior panels came loose and got stuck where it should not have.

Agree diagnosis is the hard part. How hard would it be to hot wire the ramp motor lol.
    Thxs for the reply
    My neighbor loves his 2000 Sienna with 88,000 miles on it. What year is yours? We can look for symptoms and remedies online.
    And the same with your ramp? Is it a fold out? But we need to know enough symptoms for google to do it's thing. Incidentally we noticed my dash lights were not working driving home the other night. Googling, I found out all I had to do was disconnect the battery for two minutes to reset the bugger. Apparently when my brake lights got stuck and ran down the battery, it caused the dash lights to act up.

... It could be something simple like one of the interior panels came loose and got stuck where it should not have.

Agree diagnosis is the hard part. How hard would it be to hot wire the ramp motor lol. ...
    Yes a loose interior panel can trigger a stop action. Actually your ramp should already be hot wired with the interior swithes. If it is stopping, it's probably because of sensors. Mine has a problem in that when it is retracted it needs to go a bit further. But to adjust it is hell, so I haven't done it. But sometimes it tilts outward a bit when the slider closes and it hits ramp top and retracts. What I do then is push the ramp back, or if it won't stay back, I open the passenger door and hold it with my hand while the slider closes. The slider then fits snug against the ramp, probably wrong, but the good news is that there are no rattles.

I should clarify...the problem van is a 2002 Dodge. Realize this thread is about Toyota but the post about the Caravan is what caught my attention. The issue is not so much about stops or sensors. My door is jammed...stuck solid. Use to be able to open/close it manually. Now the door won't move or at least I am not able to open/close it manually. It probably has some wiring issues too but the main problem at the moment is the stuck door. Why it isn't rolling on the rollers. Thxs
    T5/6 complete