Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Sienna ramp/door issue

2006 Sienna ramp/door issue

Hey folks, i live a ways away from a dealer and am hoping someone can help me diagnose an issue with my van. So I've got a different spin on what is a pretty common Sienna problem. I recently replaced the motor and center hinge (the common problem) for the right side automatic sliding door. Everything has worked fine for about a month and now I have a new issue. Pushing any of the door buttons, fob etc opens the door and the ramp comes out but won't close it. When i push the button to close it I hear a rhythmic clicking inside the door and the ramp stays down. It's always the same patterned click and I'm sure it's the clue to what the issue is. I'm thinking it's a relay of some sort but... I have reset the doors but that didn't help. It's a 2006 with 40,000 miles. Now to get the ramp up I have to put it in reverse for a second to force the ramp up. Once the ramp is up pushing the button will close the door. Any ideas?
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Sienna Rampvan door auto-close

Did you get your Rampvan fixed yet?

I designed that circuit about 6 years ago for IMS before Braun bought us out.

It probably thinks the ramp isn't fully extended due to a limit switch out of adjustment. So when you hit the button it's trying AGAIN to fully extend it, rather than retract it. Forcing it in by engaging reverse --- very clever!

Yeah. Best case scenario. It was just a broken wire in the schlep(sp) harness. Cost was just the diagnosis. Not cheap but cheaper. Since you know the system, I've got a different issue that has everyone stumped. For about the last year pushing the button to close the ramp requires two pushes. The first push makes the ramp go up and the kneel return to normal but the door won't shut. a second push makes the door shut. If you push the button the second time before the kneel has fully reached the top, the door interrupts the kneel. The kneel will fully top out again when the car is put in gear. This isn't a huge deal as it only requires pushing the button twice but... Any ideas on that?
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

"Pushing any of the door buttons, fob etc opens the door and the ramp comes out but won't close it. When i push the button to close it I hear a rhythmic clicking inside the door and the ramp stays down.....It was just a broken wire in the schlep(sp) harness."
    So amazingly enough this has happened again. Now that i know the problem I'm trying to figure out how to fix it without driving the 4.5 hours up to Denver. Anyone have any idea how to identify which is the broken wire? That wiring harness is super tight and gets kind of wanked every time the door opens. You think I should just open up the casing and look for the broken wire or is there a way to actually address it more cleanly? Any advice would be great. N

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    How did they fix it last time? Did they actually replace the broken wire? My guess is that it's the same wire, since it's the same symptom. If you find a bad wire, what will you do, solder it? Chances are, you won't see a broken wire just by visual inspection. If you can access both ends of the wires, an ohmmeter will tell you if there is connectivity on each wire, and then find the bad one. It's an inexpensive device (with voltmeter too). I'm surprised the problem is not intermittent, when you wiggle the wiring harness. Electrical problems can be tricky. I hope it's as simple a fix as last time. It's too bad the harness is so tight; that sounds like the cause. Another obvious question (that I'm sure you've thought of): Can you call the person who fixed it last time and get their advice?

I have a 2004 Sienna and haven't had this problem (just lots of others).

Hey Dave- Yes I did fix it. Turns out they just fixed the same wire last time by tinning it and putting heat shrink over it. This break was right at the edge of the previous fix and had cleanly snapped. I just pulled in a little extra and spliced it the same way. 30 minute fix good as new.

So new problem. I fixed that wire and worked great for a couple days but I'm seeing a new problem. Now when I try to open/activate the door and ramp the door won't open but the kneel will go down. I manually open the door and pull it open and it opens a couple inches with no resistance and then catches up to the motor. It hits this point and the motor engages and opens the door all the way. The ramp doesn't come down but i can manually pull it down. After all this the ramp and door shut properly but the door sometimes stops short of completely closed. Maybe an inch and I then need to manually pull it closed. I'm thinking this points to a failing motor but I have already replaced that once so it seems odd it would die again. One suspicious thing is that when I'm trying to open the door the kneel starts but the door latch doesn't open. Even if it was just the motor you would think the door latch would still pop open even if the door didn't move. Any thoughts?

Perhaps the cold weather is preventing the door latch from releasing? Sometimes lubricating grease gets thick and gummy in cold weather. I have to help my van door during cold weather.

That's what i figured the first time but it lives in the heated garage.

I am having a similar issue... The power fold up ramp stopped working completely in our 2005 Toyota Sienna RampVan and blocked the wheel chair access. None of the door switches will open the passenger side door in order to deploy the ramp. Luckily we were able to use other ramps we had at our house on the driver side sliding door to get my husband out of the van. Our problem is why could we get the door open? We could not even open it manually. We changed the circuit breaker on the IMS system and that did not work. I checked all of the little fuses under the dash and they were all good. What else can it be? What else can it be? We need our van. This is our only means of transportation.