Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating sandwiches for quads?

eating sandwiches for quads?

any tips on eating sandwiches with quad hands? I've seen a few gadgets that hold the sandwich but they don't look very practical. I've grown accustomed to picking sandwiches apart with a fork. It's less than satisfying to say the least and it's not much fun to be fed.

With wrapped fastfood wiches, I found that peeling back the edge of the wrapper works pretty good. I keep one hand on top and the other on the bottom. The wrapper keeps the insides from falling out. As I eat, I gradually peel the wrapper back, using my lips or teeth to grasp it.

At home, I slide my sandwiches in plastic baggies and use the same technique. However, one of my favorite sandwiches is the sloppy joe. That goes on a plate and is eaten as an open face with a fork.
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 03-05-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

If the sandwich is on square bread slices or large oval slices (like rye or pumpernickel), I have it cut into quarters. I have hamburger buns cut in half, and longer sub type sandwiches cut into about 2 inch long pieces. I have functional tenodesis grasp and can manage to pick up the quarters (or other smaller pieces), and sometimes I give myself some assist with the other hand and a fork. Spreading condiments on the inside of the slices of bread helps to "glue" the filling into the sandwich. I usually opt for the lettuce, pickle, tomato to be served on the side instead of inside the sandwich. The easiest sandwich to eat is a grilled cheese. The hardest sandwich to eat, I would agree with "SCI55" the sloppy joe or a french dip. Wraps can be difficult too. Now...how do we eat baby back ribs????

All the best,
    GJ

It depends on your quad hands. Do you have the claw or the spatula?

I have spatula hands. My aide stands the half sandwiches against the plate guard. I then push my fingers along the plate and use my dead thumb to pull the sandwich over on my fingers. The plate guard keeps the sandwich from escaping.

My let my hands shape into fists. Great for holding sammies, burgers, subs, tacos, ice cream cones... you name, I can hang onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    My let my hands shape into fists. Great for holding sammies, burgers, subs, tacos, ice cream cones... you name, I can hang onto it.
    super quad

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    super quad
    Nope. Just didn't take the OT's advice. standard quad mabey?

Blog Entries
    Don't know what level you're at, but I do pretty well holding it between my thumb and the rest of the hand. Sometimes I use both hands and I also sometimes use toothpicks too keep ingredients from sliding around. Tip: remember the toothpick is there. If all else fails, I pick up the fork and declare it an open face.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

You might want to try using a Pita Pocket or Tortilla and have the sandwich made like a burrito. It's easier to hang onto and keeps the stuff from falling out. At least until you get a better technique down for holding on to a traditional type sandwich.

If the sandwiches are made with really fresh bread, squish the bread flat onto the sandwich innards (Southern term for the goods inside any object). Certain extras on a sandwich (tomato, lettuce, etc.) can make it more difficult for the thing to stay together. Melted cheese can help at least one side of the bread stick to the inside of the sandwich. Use two slices (one against each inside bread slice) and that can help it stay together better, but extra cheese won't do your cholesterol level any favors.

Using mayo or mustard on a sandwich moistens bread and can help hold it together.

The squished sandwich may not look as appetizing, but it helps it stay together.

< - - - one claw and one spatula here