Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Surge Handrim

rye....thanks for info. Since my injury I have never worked and probably never will again. I was a software manager traveling all around the country. When not travel, I worked from home. I was not aware of an issue of working and dirty being in an "out of house" environment for long period daily. I am outside a bunch of times daily with my dog or mail, but that is not enough to make the dirt. The hill I go up and down for the mail, I do wear the gloves, so putting them on no big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rye1945 View Post
    I was one of the testers and then received my pair as soon as the final version was ready. Sorry, I cannot recall the timeline. Anyway, I live in the pacific northwest (read rain) and have loved the surge handrims. They have worked very very well for me. Previously, I used the vinyl coated one because the plain ones did not give me a good grip (The plain natural fit presented the same problem for me). Also, the vinyl made the rims a little beefier. Of course, I needed gloves in the rain and going down hills (did not use them enough and felt the burn). Btw, always used the more suede gloves instead of a more tacky leather finish.
    Thanks for all of the helpful information Rye... now, how do you decide on which model of Surges? My hands aren't huge, I use a size large medical examinatioion glove...

Quote Originally Posted by jackson233 View Post
    Thanks for all of the helpful information Rye... now, how do you decide on which model of Surges? My hands aren't huge, I use a size large medical examinatioion glove...
    One of those subjective things. My hands are average=large and I’m pushing Surge LTs (top-to-bottom 1 ⅛“ vs standard Surge 1 ½”). Mine are on short tabs so the sides of my palms and thumbs can rest against both the gripton strip and side of the tire.

Wet or dry, this pushing grip works very well for me, and relieves strain on my fingers and thumbs which are fighting slowly advancing neropathy.

Casual braking/coasting is a breeze using just the gripton strip … tho in long, steep, coasting situations. gloves to smooth surfaces is the better bet.

In hard going with a Freewheel thru grass and dirt, the less-deep LT cross section enables me to go full-palm/thumb on the tire treads for maximum push … likely too much of a stretch for my hands with the standard 1 ½” Surge.

Some normal, minor scrapes have penetrated the black anodized side surfaces, but that Gripton inlay is as tight and smooth as it was on day one.

FWIW, Nice Rims.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson233 View Post
    my hands are not huge either. I went for the regular sized ones (not the smaller LT). Is there a facility near you or a would a equipment dealer have a pair you could see and touch. That being said, unless your hands are actually quite small, you will probably be ok with the regular ones.

You could contact Out Front (the maker) and ask them for a recommendation. The regular is 1 1/2 inches and the LT is 1 1/8 inches I believe.