Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a parent as a para

This may be a red flag that your wife may not really want children that deeply--if doing too much "work" is an issue at all...seems like there may be other issues here...just a thought..I know the "work" doesnt seem to come into play when one desires a child to be a part of their lives.

When you want something badly enough..as you can see here--you will overcome any challenges to have it..and a child certainly should be wanted that much..no?

Also, even if you couldnt for whatever reason provide for the physical aspects-equally-taking care of a child is just as much about planning, organizing and "thinking" through issues and problems....believe me..the "brain" and the brawn are equally crtitical and needed..as the child grows up..
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

i am a c5/6 inc quad for 23 years and mom to 3.5 year old twin boys. i will admit that in the first couple years i was more dependent on my hubby than i wanted to be (didn't feel safe getting 2 infants in and out of van by myself, couldn't snap the stupid onesies when they got a bit snug), but now my boys and i can go anywhere and do anything together. remember the helpless infancy stage only lasts a short time compared to the lifetime of moments together.

Reading This Thread Is What Got Me To Join...

Literally just joined the community and it was from reading this thread that got me to do so... I grew up with a father who was SCI (th-9) from the time that I was 12 til this day... all I can say is don't think too much. While I understand the baby issues, but wasn't a baby myself, having kids is a great thing. My dad did a great job with us. And sabmother is 100% correct - infancy only last a short time.

Good luck,

Ken

I helped raise my nephew and we are expecting our own in November. It presents challenges the same and/or different as anyone else, but it definitely can be done. Just set up barricades!

I just went to the LA Abilities Expo and saw Pats new carrier attachment for the Freewheel. It is a platform that attaches to the downtubes and sits on top of the freewheel, allowing you to carry more groceries, boxes of supplies, packages to take to the post office, and my guess is it would even hold a car seat for transport on front of the chair. I wouldn't be surprised if some pictures popped up here in the next few days, and I will ask pat to pop in with some images if he has them as well.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

I'm a T-9 para with a 2 1/2 year old and a 10 month old. I can care for both of them indipendantly with no real issues. Like everybody else says if want to do something you will find a way...like ride a motorcycle!!