Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quad controller

quad controller

hi, i wanted to know iF there is a controller For games hands Free. thanks

What type of controller are you looking for? If you are talking about console gaming, there are a few options here: http://gimpgear.us/videogaming.htm

I have an adapted NES controller that I use on occasion which is pretty fun. I have also used the PS2 adapted controller in rehab, however I was pretty weak at the time and not too interested in playing games. I would probably have fun with it now.

If you are talking about computer gaming, I just use any old quad mouse. Mainly I use a quadjoy but there are lots of options of mice for quads out there. Here is a page, maybe a little outdated, that has a large list of hands-free mice: http://tetramouse.com/compare.html

There is also the NIA (neural impulse actuator), which is a device that goes over your head and has multiple sensors on your forehead that can detect eyebrow movement as well as left and right glances and converts them to a joystick more or less. It also has the capabilities to detect alpha and beta brain waves and convert them to useful buttons/joystick. It sounds like a great product for us high-level quads however I found it to be more of a headache than it is worth. Others may have more patience than I did, and I am sure it would be useful if you are dedicated to making it work well. It is actually made for gamers and is not marketed as adaptive technology so the price isn't too bad, something around $90.

Anyway I hope this helps.

a very cool aquaintance of mine (C3 complete) plays Wii games such as MarioKart and the boxing in WiiSports. He had his caregivers attach the controller to a baseball cap. For steering on MarioKart he tilts his head gently side to side, I guess they tape the acceleration button down? I have not witnessed it, but apparently he plays on-line against people all over the world and enjoys himself. For boxing it is a bit more physically taxing - to punch he nods his head quickly. He was saying somedays his neck gets so sore he has trouble controlling his chair...

get creative! Vidz are a great way to pass the time and reduce stress. I often "forget" about being disabled while vegging on the couch.

If you need more info let me know, I'll call him to see if there's any different games he plays or how exactly his aides set it up for him.

What would be your choice (system, game type)?

i want to play on the computer but if is easier with game consoles better. What is easier?

seems to me that the Wii would be the easiest, it's the cheapest system especially compared to some of those quad-mice. Hopefully someone with a higher injury level can add to this discussion.

What mouse do you use now? Do you do everything with Dragon?

I agree that the quad mice are very pricey, however being able to use a computer at the same speed an able-bodied person can is invaluable. Not just for gaming but for general computing.

The wii sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure I have enough neck movement to be able to play some of those games but I am definitely going to try now that you mentioned it tooley. My brother has one so I will give it a whirl next time I am at his place.

you might want to check this out...
    http://www.dwvac.com/

Another commands program is VoxEnable
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Hey guys, I'm (kinda) new here... more like a long-time 'listener,' first-time 'caller.' Anyway, I'm curious as to whether anyone has run across (or tried) using a USB tablet or similar device as a PC mouse. I've been using a standard wireless mouse for years because I just haven't found anything that works better, but it'd help quite a bit... especially in PC games. I'm looking for something along the lines of: http://www.geniustablet.com/SubPages/ProductStylesMain/OverviewProductsStylePage.aspx?ID=1fd3ac39-fedb-4094-84d4-8252f6f7afbf

Any experience or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like it would work if you had good arm/hand control, I would worry about being able to use the clicker buttons on the pen but I don't know your hand function.
    The buttons on the edges are cool, wonder if you could program them to your macros?
    Have you ever tried a track ball?
    c3/c4, injured 2007