Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how many miles

how many miles

Anything out there you can put on your chair to see how many miles you wheel a day? It would be nice to have something like that especially if your trying to loose weight and get a little more burn in....

I'd like to know this as well. I'm headed back to wheeling myself. It's nice how a former school chum of mine has a Nike pedometer that's hooked up to a program on her computer .. she posts her mileage on Facebook weekly.

My husband hooked up a bicycle pedometer thing to my chair one time. It worked out great. Not sure about how accurate the calibration was on it. It kept falling off during transfers in and out of the car.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I think we got it at Academy sports for around $15.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    Anything out there you can put on your chair to see how many miles you wheel a day? It would be nice to have something like that especially if your trying to loose weight and get a little more burn in....
    you could use a wireless cateye bicycle computer

I've often wondered about this myself. I have not seen a product on the market but I'd be shocked if there isn't one.

I approximate mileage a few different ways.

First, I use my car to measure the distance of ten different routes that I usually take when pushing through my neighborhood.

I also use time spent pushing as an approximate measure. When my chair (usually a Quickie 2HP) has fully inflated new tires and is nicely tuned I comfortably average 15 minutes/mile. When my tires are nearing the end of their useful life I average about 20 minutes/mile. This is mostly on flat terrain. Hills increase those times quite a bit. On weekdays, I push 2-3 miles a day and on weekends it's closer to 3-5 miles. I'm not into any kind of wc sports and usually push just to stay somewhat fit.

Be aware...be very aware.
    Be afraid...be very afraid.
    Take great note of your upper body shoulder capabilities and don't blow out your shoulders. Just the advice of an old crip who has been there done that!!!!

All the best,
    GJ

Have a phone that can run apps? I use one called GPSed on my blackberry, actually just started rolling home from work today for the first time and used it to track my distance and time, it will even show you your MPH while you're moving. I didn't look at it on the one big downhill part, but on the up hill part I was very slow. Sad it took me 34 minutes to roll 2.11 miles, but it doesn't show the 6 red lights I had to wait on or that it didn't find GPS satellites for the first half mile or so.
    Most everything I say is

I put a cateye on my old chair years ago and found that I pushed 10 mi a week at work.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Have a phone that can run apps? I use one called GPSed on my blackberry,
    Thanks for this - going to try it!