Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tilite zra s2 problems

Tilite zra s2 problems

I was curious if anyone else is having a lot of problems with their zra series 2 chair?
    I have had nothing but problems since I have received this chair and quite concernerned on how this chair is supposed to last me 5 years. It has even held up 5 months. I received this chair in late October.

1st problem encountered was the common backrest excessive play. This was a problem since the third day I have had the chair. I had the dme eventually show up to fix the chair and he had received the wrong parts. I have the titanium backrest and the diameter of the hinge hardware was different than what was sent. Eventually replaced with new parts and a few days later the problem returned. It is still in this condition and I am patiently waiting for new parts to show up at the dme for repair.

2nd problem is the carbon fibre backrest release bar. This came apart at both ends where it bolts on to the chair. The adhesive had broken free. This was replaced and the second carbon fibre release bar, which shortly after installation was also broken (within hours) only on one end this time. I have since talked to tilite and they quickly shipped me an aluminum replacement.
    At first I just wanted the backrest to release when I need it to, but after some more thought I was disappointed that I had accepted a heavier part that was paid a premium on (upgraded cf). I thought to myself "I paid for the upgrade, why am I accepting less than the upgrade" . I talked to the dme and he is ordering me a 4th backrest release bar.

3rd problem is the carbon fibre axle tube coming apart on the one end. This is extremely dangerous and quite a cause for concern. I noticed this last week as I was loading the chair into the car. The metal was separated from the carbon fibre tube and is migrating outward. If it continues It will eventually fall out and leave me stranded, hopefully without injury. The unfortunate part is that this is a chair I have to bring with me across the continent to attend project walk. The dme was supposed to order me a new replacement tube but until then I am left with this liability of a wheelchair I have to use daily.

I did talk with Tilite and they told me that they have corrected the issue with carbon fibre. They said it was caused by a problem with the adhesive that was used to bond the metal to the carbon fibre. Everyone tells me how great tilite is, but I wonder how so many problems get out. They must do product testing and endurance testing. Has this fallen by the wayside? I am really surprised that there has not been a recall issued for this concern.
    I do not want to use this chair anymore as I do not feel safe and I am worried at what else can go wrong with it. The problem is that for the time being I have no choice. I don't even know how to convince me to ever ride in a tilite in my life ever again or even suggest it to anyone I meet or interact with.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but i feel frustrated with this situation and I feel like my hands are tied. Thanks for reading, I feel a very small amount better.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
    3rd problem is the carbon fibre axle tube coming apart on the one end. This is extremely dangerous and quite a cause for concern. I noticed this last week as I was loading the chair into the car. The metal was separated from the carbon fibre tube and is migrating outward. If it continues It will eventually fall out and leave me stranded, hopefully without injury. The unfortunate part is that this is a chair I have to bring with me across the continent to attend project walk. The dme was supposed to order me a new replacement tube but until then I am left with this liability of a wheelchair I have to use daily.

I did talk with Tilite and they told me that they have corrected the issue with carbon fibre. They said it was caused by a problem with the adhesive that was used to bond the metal to the carbon fibre. Everyone tells me how great tilite is, but I wonder how so many problems get out. They must do product testing and endurance testing. Has this fallen by the wayside? I am really surprised that there has not been a recall issued for this concern.
    I do not want to use this chair anymore as I do not feel safe and I am worried at what else can go wrong with it. The problem is that for the time being I have no choice. I don't even know how to convince me to ever ride in a tilite in my life ever again or even suggest it to anyone I meet or interact with.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but i feel frustrated with this situation and I feel like my hands are tied. Thanks for reading, I feel a very small amount better.

Keith
    Sounds more than reminiscent of the epic thread I started after experiencing the identical issue with my new carbon fiber camber tube (see post #136 for photos).

I'm happy to report that the replacement cf camber tube I was sent has not had any issues.

Just curious as to when you received the replacement tube? Thanks for the link to the thread, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
    Just curious as to when you received the replacement tube? Thanks for the link to the thread, wow!
    Oct. 11th -- it's documented in the thread. Gives you pause considering that you received your chair in late Oct.

I think all the problem where due to a lack of R&D on TiLite's part. They preferred to test the chair with live subjects -us! I've not even sat in my chair yet and it's had the new backrest hardware, along with a new Ti backrest.

So I was just informed that tilite is shipping the replacement parts today. This is absurd! They were notified of the problem on the 2nd of March, and now it takes until the 16th to ship out the parts. I am supposed to use this chair and risk my safety as they seem to have no concern or urgency on keeping their customers at the very minimum safe. Maybe a lawsuit would potentially change their level of concern for customers safety. Here is a review video of the problems of the chair. VIDEO HERE I made this video long after this post and wanted to share with anyone just starting to read this thread. Kind like an internet time machine.
    Last edited by K-dog; 03-20-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added link to new video

did u go to tilite direct or through a dme guy
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I first talked to dme and then followed up with tilite to ensure that a p.o. Had been issued.
    I followed up yesterday with the dme because no one has notified me of any updates. I then received a forwarded email from tilite this morning saying the parts are being shipped today and sorry for the delay with no explanation.

I contacted TiLite directly and had the new design pivots fairly quick.

And I must say I am happy with the design, although my next chair will be a fixed back. Just cleaner that way, one less thing to worry about or adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post
    I contacted TiLite directly and had the new design pivots fairly quick.

And I must say I am happy with the design, although my next chair will be a fixed back. Just cleaner that way, one less thing to worry about or adjust.
    x2, i had my parts the same week they were available. cut dme out totally, they are just fucking idiotsd
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer