Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr Young any feedback on conference?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dr Young any feedback on conference?

Wise, can you give any feedback on the conference yesterday? It would be good to know what transpired and what the future might bring.

Thanks in advance
    keeping on

Wise, any feedback on conference .We would all be interested in your feedback.

keeping on

Sorry, I have been in meetings for the past three days and have spent whatever time I have taking care of silly problems on the site. So, anyway, a lot has been happening.

At the Stem Cell Summit Meeting in New York City, over 30 stem cell companies presented their products and progress, often by the CEO, CSO, or CFO of the company. Arnold Caplan began the conference by summarizing the state of MSC's (mesenchymal stem cells), the hot cell that everybody is now taking to trial and market. Geron talked about their human stem cell lines and their hope that these cells will eliminate rejection of transplanted cells and will restore function in CNS and other conditions.

Almost all the companies had phase 3 or clinical stage products. These include Aldagen, Athersys, Osiris, and others. It is truly amazing. Last year, only Osiris had an approved product. Now dozens of companies have FDA approved or approvable stem cell products. Most of the companies are doing mesenchymal stem cells. But a number have innovative cells including Pathfinder cells, placental cells, autologous cells, and adipose stem cells.

I spoke in the afternoon and Steven Huhns from StemCell Inc (Stanford University) announced their start of a stem cell trial for patients that are 6-8 months after injury. They are doing 2 ASIA A, 3 ASIA B, and 4 ASIA C patients with their fetal stem cell lines. I am sorry but I was up on the podium and could not take notes. The cells have already been shown to be safe in phase 1 studies in genetic neurodegenerative diseases. The trial will start in March 2011. They are injecting many millions of cells (I think >20 million) into the spinal cord.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I spoke in the afternoon and Steven Huhns from StemCell Inc (Stanford University) announced their start of a stem cell trial for patients that are 6-8 months after injury. They are doing 2 ASIA A, 3 ASIA B, and 4 ASIA C patients with their fetal stem cell lines. I am sorry but I was up on the podium and could not take notes. The cells have already been shown to be safe in phase 1 studies in genetic neurodegenerative diseases. The trial will start in March 2011. They are injecting many millions of cells (I think >20 million) into the spinal cord.

Wise.
    Thanks Wise.

I wonder whether StemCells Inc could be a possible source for the neural stem cells you mentioned for future trials beyond UCB+Lithium? No doubt you guys discussed that ;-)

Fly Pelican Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Thanks Wise.

I wonder whether StemCells Inc could be a possible source for the neural stem cells you mentioned for future trials beyond UCB+Lithium? No doubt you guys discussed that ;-)

Fly Pelican Fly
    Yes, they are a potential source. We are holding a ChinaSCINet meeting on April 19 in Hong Kong to look at all the sources of cells that could be used.

Wise.

Dr Young - when you say that they are injecting millions of cells (20 million) into the spinal cord - is this at a single time or over a period of weeks or days? How many Millilitres would this be at a time? What would be the safest volume/quantity to inject into the spinal cord at a single time?

wise, thank you for the feedback. Sound like a lot of things happening. Keep us abreast of human clinical trials and what we can look forward to.

keeping on

Wise, with all the type cells now being considered for therapies; which do you think have the best chance for recovery and why?

keeping on

Nice things coming

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Sorry, I have been in meetings for the past three days and have spent whatever time I have taking care of silly problems on the site. So, anyway, a lot has been happening.
    Oh wow. I admire you for your research, but not so much for this dismissal of some issues many of us do not think are too silly. I am truly saddened by this statement.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.