Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vehicle Review

Red face New Vehicle Review

Well, I needed something that would haul 6 people and at the same time take my chair (Top End Terminator Ti). I was looking at the obvious (Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition/van/etc.) but wanted something a bit more fuel efficient and easier to get in and out of. After a few months of research and testing, I ended up with a Ford Flex.

It's huge... It doesn't look it but it is... I'm 6'4" and can sit in any seat with plenty of leg room (accept the 3rd row, but close). It has tons more leg and head room than even the new Suburbans have.

The doors are huge. Entry and exit is cake. Seats aren't too high or too low either.

With the third row closed into storage mode; I can just put the whole chair in the back and lock the wheels and be done. With the rear-most seats used, I can still get the chair in the storage room disassembled. So I now have a 7 person capable vehicle that gets ~ 24MPG (so far) and can take the chair easily.

It's extremely quiet. One of the quietest vehicle's I've driven to date doing 70+ down the highway accept perhaps the fully tweaked Lincoln I couldn't afford.

The extras (SYNC) actually kick butt. Everything is hands free from the phone to turn-by-turn directions...

It rides VERY smooth. It's not sporty hard or caddy-soft. Honestly, it's just right. Not bouncy like many SUVs or kidney-pounding some many sport-sedans. Not tippy or soft-responding like many mini-vans.

Some people don't like the outside; personally I do. However, once they get inside, they really start to like it. And once they drive it... everyone I know so far loves it.

I don't know how transfering would be for those para's, but for those like me who can stand but do need their chairs and are tired of 'trunking' them all the friggin time, need to haul some people at the same time and are in the market for a new car, the Flex is worth a look.

I have a friend (C7) who put one on air bags. It's a pretty level transfer when lowered.

I love the Ford Flex. We went to test drive it (my husband drove) and we loved it. It was a little too tall for me to transfer comfortably so I went with the Honda Accord instead. The Ford Flex was super cool, lots of storage space, 2 sun roofs, SYNC, even a fridge in the back if you wanted. A little out of budget but very cool looking.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I love the Ford Flex. We went to test drive it (my husband drove) and we loved it. It was a little too tall for me to transfer comfortably so I went with the Honda Accord instead. The Ford Flex was super cool, lots of storage space, 2 sun roofs, SYNC, even a fridge in the back if you wanted. A little out of budget but very cool looking.
    Actually, if you get the roof package now, it's 4 sun roofs... HEHE.. Personally I don't like sunroofs though. I have my Jeep for my topless desires... I like the extra head-space, although honestly, in the Flex, it really is not an issue. I can sit in the sunroof equipped rig just peachy and have many inches above my head without reclining the seat. That's the first thing that just threw me for a loop.

There are quite a few out there reasonably priced. Mine, speced out new would be right at 38k. I paid 26k for 9k miles, lightly used with a 6y/100k warranty). Still has 'new car smell' and every option I wanted (accept the lights, but that's not a huge item). They are out there but have to hunt for them. 3 years free SYNC traffic/direction and 1 year free Sirius also... Gota-love that.

Glad to hear it works good. As soon as they came out I marked it down as one of the vehicles to look into when I was in the market for a new vehicles again. I liked the way it looks and thought that the size of it was perfect for some one used to driving an Expedition, but wanted to step down a bit in height.
    Most everything I say is

Thanks for your review. It's on my list now as a vehicle that might fit handcycle, racing chair and day chair.

A friend of mine got one a while back with the Eco-boast turbo option and really likes it a lot. It has every option and drives like a luxury car and is a very easy transfer in and out. His only complaint is that the doors don't open a little bit wider.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Ok, I am lost! How do you get the chair in? You transfer into the driver's seat and then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Beagle View Post
    Ok, I am lost! How do you get the chair in? You transfer into the driver's seat and then?
    For me,I can walk a tiny bit... Hence the last paragraph of my post. However there have been a few already here who did mention they transfer.

But since I can waddle (I wouldn't say walk actually), I can just put the whole thing in the rear, complete and ready to go (no break-down unless I'm carrying a 6th or 7th person and need the 3rd row) which is really nice for me most of the time.

As for the transfer-ies, not a clue. Though I don't see how they transfer into almost any vehicle without losing a seat somewhere... But that's a small price to pay for mobility... Still, with the interior room the Flex offers, moving the parts around after transfer I would think is a lot easier than most regular 'cars'. The interior is huge... Van-like even. Spacious, restricting, even cavernous. More so than any of the big SUVs I was looking at which is what really caught me off guard.

I loved the Ford Flex! However, it was a bit too tall for my son to transfer. We bought a Chrysler 300C Hemi. The doors open really wide and the passenger seat, when lowered, is almost an even transfer! It's been a great car for family road trips (he has his own van and it's not comfortable for long distance trips). Love my 300!