Thread: Need Advice

Need Advice

Please help. Today is my first day using this forum. Is there a help guide on how to use this forum? I need assistance with Stem cell transplant. My rehab doctor in Brooklyn, New York recommended Stem cell transplant for me for spinal cord injuries. He said that I would be a good candidate. However, he told me that I had to do research. He did not give me any names of hospitals or organizations. To summarize my injury, in Jan03 I had back pain. Found out in April 03- 3 tumors on spinal cord. Had laminectomy surgery - rods surgery inserted to spinal column in May03- diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma - went through 6 rounds of chemo and 3 weeks of radiation in 2003 and early 2004. I am cancer free 8 yrs. I walked and was getting better, with a cane. I was not wheelchair bound. In early 2005, my legs became weaker. By June 2005, I was unable to control urine. I fell in the house on 6/26/05 and on June 27, 2005 went to NYU Medical Center in NYC and - spinal cord injury- unable to get up and walk on my own. I was diagnosed in 7/05 with radiation myelopathy - rare illness that left me T9 paraplegic. went through rehab and in mid Jan 06, my nerves started to regenerate. In a wheelchair since end of 6/05. Been in and out of rehab since 3/06. Currently walking 35 feet with leg braces and assistance of Physical therapist to help me out of wheelchair. Incontinent with bowel/urine functions. Looking for a place that performs stem cell transplants for spinal cord injuries. Please help. thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Care Cure Community "BklynMaria07,"
    I know all the information on this site can be daunting at first. But there is a search feature that will help you weed through all of it. At the top right corner of each page is a Google search box. You can enter search terms in the box and either search WWW (World Wide Web) or Care Cure Forms. When you select the Care Cure Forms the search engine confines its results to what has been written here only. Start out with a broad field, i.e., "Stem Cell Transplants." You will get a number of threads including some scholarly papers on the subject.

All the best,
    GJ