Thread: For the scientifically minded

For the scientifically minded

I have a few questions for those who hopefully understand science better than me (meaning that the bar isn't too high on this one
    If you know the answer to these questions, or if you can put me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

1. Do you know of any sci therapies which showed good results in animal models, but then in clinical trials had no or only a little impact when tested in humans.
    2. Same question but this time in regards to other illnesses/diseases/medical conditions.

The reason I ask is that everytime I tell my doc about good results in rat models, he says, "Dennis, that's only a rat."
    When I tell him about good results in monkeys, he says, "Dennis, but that's only a monkey."
    I'm sure if a woman walked after an sci therapy, he would say, "But that's a woman. There is no proof to say that it will work in a man."
    (Sorry to those who have already heard this joke from me).

I hope I get some interesting answers. I have searched, but I can't find much info.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

I don't have these just lying around, but I can collect them, give me a few days. However, I can tell you that the problem is finding the negative reports in the literature... these are VERY difficult to get published (I speak from personal experience) simply because it is impossible to say if the negative effect is real. And so you have to do more subjects/experiments that get drawn out and then money gets low and you have to reapply for a grant but they won't extend it because you have no positive results... you see where this goes. I have done two phase one trials (in humans) from my own work in cancer- both showed good results in mice, but were negative in humans. A recent report (I'll have to find the ref..) reported that 80% of compounds that show promise in drug screens never make it past phase one trials. What usually happens is the animal work is published, lots of press coverage, everyone gets all excited, then you never hear about it again.