Thread: Supra Pubic Foley catheter

Unhappy Supra Pubic Foley catheter

I am having issues with my catheter plugging up. I had the supra pubic surgery 6/2010. In the beginning i was sent home with a 12 french foley. After a few weeks i noticed that i was going into dysroflexia. As it turned out the 12 french Foley was way to small and not flowing enough urine. So i then moved up to a 14 french Foley and the problem was still there but less frequent. I made a conscious decision and upgraded to an 18 french Foley.

it has been 9 months since the operation. My doctor advised me to change the Foley every 30 days. over the past 4 months my Foley is clogging up and sending me into dysro. i have been monitoring how many days before the foley clogs. The days are getting shorter in between changing it. i am getting at least 10 to 14 days before my blood pressure sky rockets . My diet is very good, Has anyone has this problem and knows a solution? Ii guess i could increase the size of my catheter to a 20 french? Helpppppp

Im on a size 20 running well,i use a 100 per pure silicone catheter,because its clear you can see when it clocks up.By starting from your stomach sqeeze the catheter until the mug is all out and flowing again.hope it helps

I'm using a 24 French myself. The all silicone ones 10 the last a lot longer than the rubber ones. It's still very frustrating when they clog up because it usually happens in the middle of the night.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Are you drinking enough fluids to keep the urine flowing? Usually the suprapubic's are a larger catheter than the urethral ones, so going to a 20 is not unusual. I would contact your doctor though before I made any more changes just to keep him/her informed, if nothing else. They may also want you to irrigate once a week to try to keep the sediment and mucous from clogging the catheter.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you drinking enough fluids to keep the urine flowing? Usually the suprapubic's are a larger catheter than the urethral ones, so going to a 20 is not unusual. I would contact your doctor though before I made any more changes just to keep him/her informed, if nothing else. They may also want you to irrigate once a week to try to keep the sediment and mucous from clogging the catheter.
    CKF
    I agree with the SCI Nurse. I have been on a 20 all silicone suprapubic cath for 21 years now, here are some of the things I do to stay healthy and keep it flowing.

1. Use 100% silicone caths only (they are much cleaner) min clear or white.
    2. Irrigate it once or twice a week with saline to prevent clogging.
    3. Clean around the stoma several times a day with soap and water.
    4. Wiggle the tube around a little each day to prevent it from sticking in your bladder.
    5. Change it every month.

Hope this helps..
    ^^(A)^^

Try searching this forum for urine sediment or urinary sediment or clogged catheter. There has been quite a bit written here about the subject and you may find some information that you will find helpful.

All the best,
    GJ