Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Governor of VA to ban stem cell research

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Sue, what SCI symposiums are you referring to in VA?

Also, Im not sure MCV/VCU is considered a Model Center anymore.
    Symposiums? Even if there's a conference here & there, that's barely a drop in the bucket when it comes to state economic benefit.

MCV/VCU is not a model center anymore. There was discussion of some partnership with UVA & WWRC several years ago to try and regain that status, but I don't think anything happened w/ it.

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    grammy; I rather think to post it on a a thread that is talking about differnt states conducting the same anti embryonic stem cell research rhetoric. Thanks anyway.

keeping on
    Sorry, I guess I overlooked the entertainment value of rhetoric.

Grammy, this is ver important for the forum. Please participate in this venue. there is a movement in this country to inmteruppt the research that is currently going on in stem cell research. It appears that Republicans are leading the charge. Blindly, I might add. If you think this is aproblem that will hurt us; then state your views on what can be done. If you don't and agree with the anti stem cell research sentiment; then state that and you will be noted.

thanks in advance
    keeping on

Grammy, this is ver important for the forum. Please participate in this venue. there is a movement in this country to inmteruppt the research that is currently going on in stem cell research. It appears that Republicans are leading the charge. Blindly, I might add. If you think this is aproblem that will hurt us; then state your views on what can be done. If you don't and agree with the anti stem cell research sentiment; then state that and you will be noted.

thanks in advance
    keeping on
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...4&postcount=19

It was noted.

thanks in advance
    keeping on
    keeping on, this thread is about the governor of virginia, alot of people from minnesota, etc might not even look at this thread since it deals with virginia.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

By Bill Sizemore
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © February 22, 2011
    A new state research and development tax credit will not apply to embryonic stem-cell research.
    The Senate version of the legislation, HB1447, would have allowed the credit to be applied to such research. But House negotiators insisted on excluding it, and they prevailed.
    The final version of the bill was approved Monday by the House, 87-12, and by the Senate, 38-0.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/va-t...mcell-research

In addition to deleting the stem cell research out of the Virginia budget...I see they have also made sure that the state research and development tax credits won't apply either.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    By Bill Sizemore
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © February 22, 2011
    A new state research and development tax credit will not apply to embryonic stem-cell research.
    The Senate version of the legislation, HB1447, would have allowed the credit to be applied to such research. But House negotiators insisted on excluding it, and they prevailed.
    The final version of the bill was approved Monday by the House, 87-12, and by the Senate, 38-0.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/va-t...mcell-research

In addition to deleting the stem cell research out of the Virginia budget...I see they have also made sure that the state research and development tax credits won't apply either.
    wow, the total vote was 125 - 12 ? doesn't look good
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    wow, the total vote was 125 - 12 ? doesn't look good
    Ya, It looks like they managed every single avenue to shut out funding!
    Geez, even took the tax credits away. Is there anything else they can get their hands on there?

They've succeeded in a total shut out! End of the line for any stem cell companies considering VA. It's a shame to shut out the potential income and investment of those companies when the state is strapped for cash. Looks like a self inflicted gun shot wound!
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 03-10-2011 at 08:30 PM.

thanks in advance
    keeping on
    I know that I am a mere "Limey", and do not feel as qualified to go on about US politics as those living with them. From where I am sitting, the Republicans get a very poor press on any medical research, and on this forum in particular. What amazes me is that they actually win elections. The have a dinosaur attitude to anything that smacks of social or medical benefit.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Sounds like Father Tad got to him. The other side is presented by Catholics for choice. With 70% of the population (and over 65% OF Catholics) supporting the research it is hard to see how this stuff passes.