Thread: Pain hip greater trochanter radiates to all muscles attach to greater trochanter

Pain hip greater trochanter radiates to all muscles attach to greater trochanter

I am a T-9 incomplete SCI since12/30/2009. I am back to work as a surgeon for the lash 2 years. I am grateful for this and do not mean to complain but I have had pain in my hip greater trochanter and all muscles of my right butt cheek for 6months. No one can seem to find the answer. Normal plain x ray, normal MRI of lumbar spine. Lots of muscle stretching of hip etc no better. Have a baclofen pump (which allowed me to go back to work) but hip pain is constant and pretty miserable. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ealfordmd View Post
    I am a T-9 incomplete SCI since12/30/2009. I am back to work as a surgeon for the lash 2 years. I am grateful for this and do not mean to complain but I have had pain in my hip greater trochanter and all muscles of my right butt cheek for 6months. No one can seem to find the answer. Normal plain x ray, normal MRI of lumbar spine. Lots of muscle stretching of hip etc no better. Have a baclofen pump (which allowed me to go back to work) but hip pain is constant and pretty miserable. Any suggestions?
    I had to try Osteopathic Manipulation back in 2007 because my hip was so painful like you describe. My doctors tried everything. I went to Shepherd Center and they did an injection into the hip joint and then did a manipulation. I have had to have it done once since then.

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/105/suppl_4/S29

http://www.aacom.org/about/osteomed/...egenhardt.aspx

All my x-rays and tests were fine too.

My doctors tried everything. It is not easy to find DO's who do this or it wasn't for me.

I hope you get some relief soon.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Any chance of hip bursitis? That is the cause of my hip pain which is relieved with steroid injections.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

My hip pain is on the left side and travels up into my abdomen there are days it's so severe I have no problems asking the good lord to draw my last breath! No amount of test I've done has found anything wrong and I'm going back to the Dr. Today for another round table discussion about what to do.
    It's very very very frustrating!!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

please get your vitamin D level checked.

If you find a low level, also get your kidney function tested. I was very suprised to find my very bad hip pain, pain when bumping my hands or feet, pain in the long bones, was due to a level of 4 vitamin D and also other things like calciun and magnesiun, and sodium levels were low.

it also can affect your blood sugar, and you are 75% more likely to get colon breast, ovarian, and skin cancer.

it cant hurt to get it your levels checked. if you do have bone pain from low D, it may mean a prescription suppliment, and food high in vit D. You will see a difference in a month or two with less pain in you bones. the hip and leg pain gets very bad at the end of the day, and I still have a lot of effects even after months of a suppliment, but It is much better than before I started taking it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vit...tient-vitamind
    heres some good info. congratulations on getting back to work.

My ENT recommended Myofascial Release Therapy for me, to relieve the pain and discomfort post cervical surgery. He had a very bad MVA, fractured pelvis and multiple other injuries. Traditional PT obviously didn't give him relief for the pain found to be assoicated with the connective tissue.

For approx. 9 months I had the increased sensation of being strangled. My neck felt as tight as a drum and it was incredibly painful and uncomfortable everyday. By the end of the day it was almost impossible to project my voice. I was using narcotics, muscle relaxants, benzo's prescribed by my pain management physician without any success in relieving the pain. I went to a therapist who does this therapy and after having 8 treatments I am relieved of about 80-90% of the pain.

I mentioned it to my pain management md (who never gets excited about anything and has the affect of a rock) and he said "OH, i hear that's supposed to be really good!". Below is a description from
    medicinenet.com. There is much information regarding this tx on the internet.

What is Myofascial Release?

Myofascial Release is a highly specialized stretching technique used by physical therapists to treat patients with a variety of soft tissue problems.

To understand what Myofascial Release is and why it works, you have to understand a little about fascia. Fascia is a thin tissue that covers all the organs of the body. This tissue covers every muscle and every fiber within each muscle. All muscle stretching, then, is actually stretching of the fascia and the muscle, the myofascial unit. When muscle fibers are injured, the fibers and the fascia which surrounds it become short and tight. This uneven stress can be transmitted through the fascia to other parts of the body, causing pain and a variety of other symptoms in areas you often wouldn't expect. Myofascial Release treats these symptoms by releasing the uneven tightness in injured fascia.

In other words, Myofascial Release is stretching of the fascia. The stretch is guided by feedback the therapist feels from the patient's body. This feedback tells the therapist how much force to use, the direction of the stretch and how long to stretch. Small areas of muscle are stretched at a time. Sometimes the therapist uses only two fingers to stretch a small part of a muscle. The feedback the therapist feels determines which muscles are stretched and in what order.

Each Myofascial Release technique contains the same components. The physical therapist finds the area of tightness. A light stretch is applied to the tight area. The physical therapist waits for the tissue to relax and then increases the stretch. The process is repeated until the area is fully relaxed. Then, the next area is stretched.

The therapist will be able to find sore spots just by feel. Often, patients are unable to pinpoint some sore spots or have grown used to them until the physical therapist finds them. The size and sensitivity of these sore spots, called Myofascial Trigger Points, will decrease with treatment.

Most patients are surprised by how gentle Myofascial Release is. Some patients fall asleep during treatment. Others later go home and take a nap. Most patients find Myofascial Release to be a very relaxing form of treatment.

Myofascial Release is not massage. Myofascial Release is used to equalize muscle tension throughout the body. Unequal muscle

good luck.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 02-28-2011 at 04:01 PM.