Thread: T6 Fracture

T6 Fracture

I fractured my T6 and had a minor fracture of my T7 in a snowboarding accident. luckily i only bruised my spinal cord and had no problems in that regard. the doctor told me the fracture was stable and i needed to wear a brace for 3-6 months. its only been 9 weeks and i've started taking the brace off when at home, can this affect the fracture even if i keep my back straight? or is the brace more pre-cautionary? also will alcohol affect the healing process? i know these questions seem like no brainers but its incredibly frustrating doing nothing for 9 weeks

Blog Entries
    I don't know if the brace is precautionary only, but how dumb would you feel if you ended up paralyzed because you were impatient? I'd talk to your doc.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3/4 ASIA A 21 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I don't know if the brace is precautionary only, but how dumb would you feel if you ended up paralyzed because you were impatient? I'd talk to your doc.
    For 6 months... do what your doc says.

I agree. The doctor did not prescribe this length of time for you to wear the brace for HIS health, but for yours. You are taking great risks of having a non-union or cord impingement by not following the proper precautions, including wearing the brace. While wearing the brace, you should be OK for normal daily activities, but not for anything that involves a lot of force, jostling, or possible bouncing. Better a little inactive than paralyzed!

Alcohol in moderation is OK. Tobacco use and NSAIDs will impair bone healing.

(KLD)

Yup, do as he says. If you think "its incredibly frustrating doing nothing for 9 weeks," think about doing that for the rest of your life. Don't take a chance.
    Had the docs braced my wife after her medically-induced damage, she likely would not have had the subsequent damage to her spinal cord, she would not have endured 8 years of pain, 6 with paraplegia, and she would be alive today.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by impatient_patient View Post
    I fractured my T6 and had a minor fracture of my T7 in a snowboarding accident. luckily i only bruised my spinal cord and had no problems in that regard. the doctor told me the fracture was stable and i needed to wear a brace for 3-6 months. its only been 9 weeks and i've started taking the brace off when at home, can this affect the fracture even if i keep my back straight? or is the brace more pre-cautionary? also will alcohol affect the healing process? i know these questions seem like no brainers but its incredibly frustrating doing nothing for 9 weeks
    Got to laugh at this question.
    If you and I were buds just hanging around the house having a few beers. "Hell yea, take it off keep it straight can I get you another beer?"

That would have been 7 months ago.
    I'm 6 months post T8 incomplete walker with all the shit that comes to SCI.
    Keep that shit on and don't drink and trip your ass into a chair next to me.

Enjoy your visit to our club. Now get out while you can.

After dealing with my sci for more than 56 years, I will tell you that only a damned fool would not follow the doc's advice. I would suffer with it for a year or more to prevent the possibility of damage. No ands, ifs, or buts.

Hey thanks for the feedback. i guess one of the frustrating things is I don't know anyone personally with knowledge on this sort of injury and that and I only get to see the doctor once every month. So i'm constantly stuck with a thousand questions. I know the gravity of the injury but don't have much of an idea on the details. It helps alot to get some comments from people with experience.

That is what this is all about. Helping each other with questions. And if everyone came down a little hard, it's because they all know what not having the luck that you did means in terms of what they need to deal with for the rest of their life.

please DON'T feel like you can't ask ?'s, but also, do follow what your doc says to do.
    This is a great place to visit to learn, but you really don't want to have to become a regular.
    CKF