Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Bullying

Blog Entries

No Bullying

I see that a number of people have adopted the No Bullying logo, and I heartily approve, but am very concerned about the zero tolerance signatures. Zero Tolerance against bullying seems like a good idea at first glance, but don't underestimate the stupidity of those who are charged with enforcing ZT. Most rational people have a pretty good handle on what bullying is, but in the hands of zealots, you would be outraged at some of the things that children have been punished for under the ZT regime.

Randy Cassingham has a weekly e-letter of weird news and his comments on the news items. Go to http://www.thisistrue.com/zt.html to read some memorable examples of ZT, and to sign up to get the free e-letter if you wish.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Good point, Donno. There are certainly levels of grey that need to be taken into consideration, and ZT policies can't do that.

very good point donno! that just turns in a bullying of a different sort and not what is wanted on these boards.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I completely agree Donno - my interpretation of zero tolerance in the hands of mods at CC would be a "time out" option - a holding area for offending members to be refered to Wise for his consideration - he is so busy sometimes it's many days before he even becomes aware of a problem in the making on the boards (as in the present case) Speaking for myself I would try very hard to be fair and I have faith the other mods would too ! This has been festering here for some time now and it needs to be resolved !

Unless I'm mistaken I believe the slogan was introduced to draw attention to the issue of bullying and to be used as a sign of solidarity for those who agree that there is a problem - and that enough is enough. Kiran has been a member since 2002 - I'm sick at heart she has left the CC community!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    I completely agree Donno - my interpretation of zero tolerance in the hands of mods at CC would be a "time out" option - a holding area for offending members to be refered to Wise for his consideration - he is so busy sometimes it's many days before he even becomes aware of a problem in the making on the boards (as in the present case) Speaking for myself I would try very hard to be fair and I have faith the other mods would too !
    This makes sense, and it's simply an extension of current moderating practices. And Wise has far better things to do than babysit CC.

I agree Donno...

I remember reading about the lemon drops years ago.

Obie is 100% correct in my reasoning for adopting it as my signature. Thank you Obie.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I totally agree Donno. The situations that give rise to the behaviour are not always cut and dry (many of us have baggage; hell, disability alone creates baggage). It's also important to consider the impact on the person being banned - do they have other community supports, would losing CC serious affect their support?

Blog Entries
    Obieone, thanks for that clarification. I'm all for ZT for *true* bullying!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

obieone that is a great suggestion on how to handle things!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by loreo View Post
    It's also important to consider the impact on the person being banned - do they have other community supports, would losing CC serious affect their support?
    Personally I am more concerned about the lack of external support for those on the recieving end of bullying or those who may be deterred from using the care cure forums as a much needed resource (especially families or individuals with new injuries), than I am for any member who might be banned for overt and persistent bullying or otherwise inappropriate behaviour.

We all have a choice in how we treat these forums and other members.
    Last edited by orangejello; 02-27-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: grammar