Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Joining the Tube in the Dick Club

  1. #1

    Joining the Tube in the Dick Club

    After 13 years of paralysis, a urologist has decided I should cathe twice a day as well as void on my own because I can have as much as 200+ CCs sitting inside my bladder without my feeling the urge to release it and is a cause for bacterial growth.

    I really like this new doctor I'm seeing. Interestingly, his name is Spanish, yet when he walked into the room and began speaking to me, I could have sworn his accent was German. "Do I hear a German accent?" "No, but you're not the first to ask me that," he replied, "I come from Argentina and have a thick accent from there."

    I immediately liked him for he spoke to me as if he knew what he was doing as well as spoke to me about things besides the medical matter at hand.

    I noted to myself that after the war many Nazis fled to South America to avoid prosecution for war crimes. Obviously not suggesting my doctor was once a Nazi, but only putting pieces together in my mind.
    Last edited by Le Todd; 02-20-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ouch! I used your when you're was correct. My mind is blown!


  2. #2
    There were many Germans who immigrated to South America (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, etc.) prior to WWII, which is why it was an attractive place for some Germans to go after the war too. Unless your new physician is in his late 80s or 90s I would assume he is not a Nazi!

    (KLD)

  3. #3
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    I immediately liked him for he spoke to me as if he knew what he was doing as well as spoke to me about things besides the medical matter at hand.
    So important and rare to find!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Aging Nazi's aside, it sounds like you found someone who treats the whole person, and that is always good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member marycsm77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    After 13 years of paralysis, a urologist has decided I should cathe twice a day as well as void on my own because I can have as much as 200+ CCs sitting inside my bladder without my feeling the urge to release it and is a cause for bacterial growth.

    I really like this new doctor I'm seeing. Interestingly, his name is Spanish, yet when he walked into the room and began speaking to me, I could have sworn his accent was German. "Do I hear a German accent?" "No, but your not the first to ask me that," he replied, "I come from Argentina and have a thick accent from there."

    I immediately liked him for he spoke to me as if he knew what he was doing as well as spoke to me about things besides the medical matter at hand.

    I noted to myself that after the war many Nazis fled to South America to avoid prosecution for war crimes. Obviously not suggesting my doctor was once a Nazi, but only putting pieces together in my mind.
    sorry it has come to this for you todd but glad you found an md you like and can work with.

  6. #6
    Finding a good doc is 90% of the battle as far as I'm concerned. If you feel confident with his advice it makes things easier.
    Your observations always intrigue and crack me up at the same time.
    How are you feeling?

  7. #7
    Senior Member brucec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    5,658
    Back in rehab in 1978, that was one of the things they monitored, if you kept 200cc or over after voiding, they took you to uva and cut some of the muscle holding the urine in, i never wanted a permenent cut like that, since dumb me thought sci would be cured by the early eighties) i just lied and told them it was always under 200cc.

    32 and 11/12 months later, i still can cath over 200cc after voiding, not pront to uti's either, so not sure, maybe it's just what you drink and eat
    good luck, and glad you found a md you like, thats rare
    bruce
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

  8. #8
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    Back in rehab in 1978, that was one of the things they monitored, if you kept 200cc or over after voiding, they took you to uva and cut some of the muscle holding the urine in, i never wanted a permenent cut like that, since dumb me thought sci would be cured by the early eighties) i just lied and told them it was always under 200cc.
    I rehabed in 1979 and there was no hesitation having a sphincterotomy because I was told there was no cure to be had because nerve cells did not regenerate. I can remember the exact spot I was sitting at at GF Strong when I was told there was no research being done. I was gob smacked.

  9. #9
    Senior Member keps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,355
    Um Todd, are we meant to feel sorry for you?
    Some of us have been shoving tubes into our bladders 10 times a day for years. Naming no names.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would assume he is not a Nazi!

    (KLD)
    Yes he is!

Similar Threads

  1. New injury-just joining.
    By marianne in forum New SCI
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
  2. Joining a gym
    By dgrotz in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
  3. We're joining the "new house" club!
    By Lazlo in forum Life
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •