Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk seriously & realistically: Medical Marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I hear people say "Not one death has occured" in conversations about MJ. I do not believe that statistic because you have to count all the deaths that have occured because of MVA's due to being stoned and murders due to drug deals gone bad, etc. It still alters the mind of the user. It effects different people in different ways. Just my thoughts!!!!
    Use alcohol prohibition of the 1920s as an example. As the drug in demand (alcohol) became illegal violence increased. When alcohol became legal again violence associated with the trade decreased. Today nobody is killed over what they can buy in a liquor store.

Driving under the influence is a crime whether it be alcohol, prescription drugs, OTC medications, marijuana, other illicit drugs etc. Law enforcement should deal with that instead of possession or use.

Yes, marijuana does alter the mine. That is the point, but so does alcohol, antidepressants, narcotics and some OTC medications. People need to take responsibility for their actions when using these substances.

People love to talk about personal freedoms, yet laws criminalizing marijuana take away our freedom to choose what's right for us as one example. I say legalize it and shift all resources used to enforce that law toward education and treatment of addiction to other drugs.

i like the way u think, shame we have ignorance governing our country and not just the current administration, many in front of this one, logic is not in their thinking......

My comment was not meant to argue the debate of whether to legalize pot. I was just remarking on the statement "Not one death" that I often hear when people are discussing the safety of pot. "Not one death" implies that MJ is a totally safe drug. I do not believe that. Anything that alters the mind is altering the chemical makeup of the body which seems to me to not be a good thing especially when continued over a long period of time.!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

My comment was not meant to argue the debate of whether to legalize pot. I was just remarking on the statement "Not one death" that I often hear when people are discussing the safety of pot. "Not one death" implies that MJ is a totally safe drug. I do not believe that. Anything that alters the mind is altering the chemical makeup of the body which seems to me to not be a good thing especially when continued over a long period of time.!

Just going through life alters one's mind! lol!

I've been smoking o and off for 35 years and know folks who have the same recored of usage and I have never heard of anyone losing control of their minds functions.

My father, grandfather and one uncle were full time alcoholics, and to see the condition they were in at around 5o and older was say to say the least.

"Not one death" implies that there are no records showing that there has been any deaths by the use of cannabis; not that it is perfectly safe.

"Anything that alters the mind is altering the chemical makeup of the body"

How about cooking food in microwaves (I use them) and breaking down and altering the molecules of the foods structure, or the use of cell phones that studies are coming out recently that shows this is not safe for the brain for various reasons?

A few tokes in the evening relaxes me enough and eases the chronic pain that I live with 24/7. It works, and this is the most important factor for me when considering the possible health issues.

Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

added LA Times article

I get what you're saying, but by that reasoning, most things aren't 100% safe.

I just believe if alcohol is going to be legal, cannabis should as well and adults should have the right to choose whether to use it or not. Whatever stupid stuff they do while under the influence is on them. Same goes for whatever health issues (if any) come from the use of it. Both substances have tradition in our nation's history.

Why is marijuana illegal?

Many people assume that marijuana was made illegal through some kind of process involving scientific, medical, and government hearings; that it was to protect the citizens from what was determined to be a dangerous drug.

The actual story shows a much different picture. Those who voted on the legal fate of this plant never had the facts, but were dependent on information supplied by those who had a specific agenda to deceive lawmakers. You’ll see below that the very first federal vote to prohibit marijuana was based entirely on a documented lie on the floor of the Senate.

You’ll also see that the history of marijuana’s criminalization is filled with:

Racism
    Fear
    Protection of Corporate Profits
    Yellow Journalism
    Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
    Personal Career Advancement and Greed

These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.
    More.

Even the American Medical Association disagrees with the government's position on marijuana, for what that's worth.

Medical marijuana gets a boost from major doctors group

The American Medical Assn. changes its policy to promote clinical research and development of cannabis-based medicines and alternative delivery methods.

November 11, 2009|John Hoeffel

The American Medical Assn. on Tuesday urged the federal government to reconsider its classification of marijuana as a dangerous drug with no accepted medical use, a significant shift that puts the prestigious group behind calls for more research.

The nation's largest physicians organization, with about 250,000 member doctors, the AMA has maintained since 1997 that marijuana should remain a Schedule I controlled substance, the most restrictive category, which also includes heroin and LSD.
    More.
    Last edited by doingtimeonmyass; 06-19-2011 at 05:54 PM.

This looks interesting and wonder if pain associated with SCI would qualify for the use of it.
    Sativex Makes Progress Worldwide, Including in US

By Julie Stachowiak, Ph.D., About.com Guide April 26, 2011

Sativex is a drug that contains two main compounds derived from marijuana, the cannabinoids cannabidiol (CBD) and delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). It controls involuntary muscle movements in people with multiple sclerosis (MS). It also has been shown to help with MS-related pain, spasticity and bladder dysfunction. It is sprayed into the mouth.

Sativex is currently in a Phase III trial in the US for treatment of cancer pain, which is a necessary step for receiving FDA approval. Once FDA approval is received for Sativex, it can be used off-label to help people with MS. (For more information on how this works, read What is "off-label" use of drugs and is it legal?)

Sativex is currently approved in the UK, Spain, Czech Republic, Canada and New Zealand as a treatment of multiple sclerosis spasticity.

The US license to Sativex is held by Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd in the United States and to Bayer HealthCare AG in the UK and Canada. GW Pharmaceuticals has signed a deal to have Novartis (makers of Gilenya) market Sativex in parts of Asia, the Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and Africa, so is moving ahead in those markets.
    More.

I have the misfortune of living in a state where it is not legal for medical purposes. I do know know however, that it differs from booze in one big way. MJ smokers tend not to leave the house so DUI's caused by it are limited. The worst immediate reaction that happens from smoking is munching out and sleeping. What would most of us give for that to happen for us?

While it may not be the cure all for pain or for spasms, it helps some people. It also calms the stomach which for most SCI individuals, is bombarded with drugs for other purposes. These meds cause nausea and guess what, MJ helps.

If I could sell my house for a decent price and get my husband a job (sole support of my family) where it is legal for medical purposes, I would move in a heartbeat.

I would rather the kids on the block smoke rather than drink. No one I ever met got violent from MJ and I am a product of the 70's so it was around. No one I know went on to stronger stuff as the buzz was enough.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

why aren't more ppl discussing the pill form? does it not work? my pcp offered it to me months ago (haven't tried it). i sure am not smoking it as i hated it before injury and i hate smoke. but am curious about pill form.

Ya'll don't get me wrong. If it works for you that is fine , do it! I am not judging you as right or wrong I just hate that statement. "Not one death". It is to absolute.

Hey Eak - I too was around in the 70's. Even smoked me some weed back then. Just did not like it all that much. However differently than your experience I did see alot of friends go on from weed to much harder drugs. Unfortunately several of those friends are in the ground now as a result of their drug use.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    why aren't more ppl discussing the pill form? does it not work? my pcp offered it to me months ago (haven't tried it). i sure am not smoking it as i hated it before injury and i hate smoke. but am curious about pill form.
    In California you can get it in all sorts of forms, including things like "juice boxes" basically a plastic bottle of orange juice which I guess has some sort of pot extract in it that you drink, brownies, etc. I would be careful it doesn't work for everyone, I tried it and it made my neuro pain worse. It was two hours of literal hell.