Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk seriously & realistically: Medical Marijuana

injestion method to minimize high

I know if I smoke marijuana it will make me high. I would like to use it for pain and muscle spasm without getting high. Does anyone have experience using other methods of ingestion that do not produce a high? For instance, if you eat some or make a tea with it, how much do you have to use?
    Last edited by Duncan McIntyre; 04-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiser View Post
    Hey Jody, Just wondering, are there such a thing as doctors who dont give a damn whether you smoke mj or not or is it sooooooo tightly regulated that doctors/patients records are screened to find users? I just wonder how it works as I have a mate living in NY (i'm in Australia) and I have been encouraging him to try it... I have no idea how your system works... But all my doctors know I use mj, and they didnt even bat an eyelid when i told them...

I use mainly for depression and anxiety now. Gonna sound like an abuser but for me there isnt a better all-round pain/anxiety/depression drug available. I love where I live to. Although there aren't any places you can legitimately smoke in, there are places that turn a blind eye - as long as you're not making it blatantly obvious...

I was suprised to learn also that I dont need to use it everyday... The effects last for 2 or three days (depression and anxiety only tho), pain is a different beast. I have never got addicted to it. I guess not using it everyday had a part to play in that. Although I did for a time (2 years) use it every morning... I had a lot of pain tho. After recovering from the operation for hip replacement (the reason for using it in the first place) I never felt the urge to smoke until I got back into life... My life long depression sunk in (for reasons I cant explain) and sucked my soul straight out of me... Tried zoloft & lexapro - they scared the crap out of me. Did nothing for the depression and anxiety, so I started smoking mj again. I have a good routine now where I dont smoke everyday (2 or 3 times a week), that keeps the demons away...
    Most Gp's cannot or will not prescribe pain meds due to the oxy abuse. they refer to a pain clinic. that includes a contract not to use unprescribed, and illegal meds. My doc knows I us mj, but if it were a regular thing she might just send me to pain management rather than writing my patch scripts. as far as I know I am the only patient she writes pain meds schripts for, however I keep good records, and have never run out sooner than my script. also I declined a raise in the dose, and use breakthrough meds very sparingly, which she can see It has been fill once in 11 months rather than using all three refills in ninety days, so Im sure that is why she is ok with writing my schripts for now. I dread the day I have to go to a pain clinic again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan McIntyre View Post
    I know if I smoke marijuana it will make me high. I would like to use it for pain and muscle spasm without getting high. Does anyone have experience using other methods of injestion that do not produce a high? For instance, if you eat some or make a tea with it, how much do you have to use?
    it must be extracted with a fat or oil. you cannot get any effect from using water and making a tea out of it. It is easy to make butter, and the high is different, but you still do feel a high. you wont get much effect by eating the dried or raw plant. the barbs are irritating to the G I tract as well.

it is different when you eat it. If you were in a legal state, you could get lots of different forms of it. Suckers, candy, cookies, or other sweets, and butter or oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyis View Post
    Keiser,

I'm in complete agreement with you.

What level are you?

And why the hip replacement?

I ask because I suspect that I have something wrong in the hip because of the specific area of pain in my left hip.
    Hi Gary,

Sorry for the late reply. I am T10 complete with spina bifida. The hip replacement came about because of years of bone mashing bone... Not sure if my hip wasnt very well formed to begin with or whether through natural degradation the hip just wore itself away (cant see how that would happen - although i am not a doctor).

All i know is my whole leg became very weak I couldnt lift it like i could my other leg. The upper leg started to spasm like a mo fo and cause excrutiating pain to the whole leg... Almost like being given a dead leg by being punched... after the operation the pain and spasms disappeared. I can't remember if you said u had seen a doctor.... I would check it out.

Trav

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    Most Gp's cannot or will not prescribe pain meds due to the oxy abuse. they refer to a pain clinic. that includes a contract not to use unprescribed, and illegal meds. My doc knows I us mj, but if it were a regular thing she might just send me to pain management rather than writing my patch scripts. as far as I know I am the only patient she writes pain meds schripts for, however I keep good records, and have never run out sooner than my script. also I declined a raise in the dose, and use breakthrough meds very sparingly, which she can see It has been fill once in 11 months rather than using all three refills in ninety days, so Im sure that is why she is ok with writing my schripts for now. I dread the day I have to go to a pain clinic again.
    My GP keeps a careful eye on my oxycocet use but had no problem signing my federal medicinal marijuana forms. I have designated a grower who is allowed to have up to 172 plants and store 7695 g of the dried herb. Oh Canada eh!

But most GPs up here will not sign.

Wow, in my state I can have 6-mature plants and 18 babys and 24oz usable marijuana. I mostly grow outside and even with only 6 plants I have to give a lot away because it's over my limit. Thats crazy you get so many plants!
    My GP signs for me but most people have to go thru a "clinic"
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sh1wn View Post
    Wow, in my state I can have 6-mature plants and 18 babys and 24oz usable marijuana. I mostly grow outside and even with only 6 plants I have to give a lot away because it's over my limit. Thats crazy you get so many plants!
    My GP signs for me but most people have to go thru a "clinic"
    My designated grower must do so for several other people as well. I received a copy of his permit and those were the numbers. Now that I use of vaporizer, my amount used is greatly decreased.

Really, i thought you would go through more.^

DIaspora... Thanks you fro looking out for us all. There is just one flaw in your plea for all to understand to magical properties of weed. It does not have the same effect on everybody as t8burst pointed out. As for me I do not like the way it makes me feel and therefore it seems to me I am just trading one unpleasant feeling for another.

I am glad that it works for you but to assume that it will work the same for everybody else and that those of us that choose not to seek it out are somehow ignoring the "magic bullet" seems to be a bit off color to me. Not to mention it is not legal in all states and would cause major headaches with most pain doctors/clinics!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

MY BF is a C6-7 complete. He lives in Denver and smokes the weed on occasion. I don't think it's a cure but provides a respite from the pain late at night when he needs his sleep.
    it's done wonders for my jetlag too!