Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SCI Women's Breast Health

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Have you had your mammogram?
    Yes, yearly. It is quite an ordeal that takes four times as long as "normal" I suspect, as it is the endless "a little more to the right" or "come at this angle" but the techs where I go are great and there is a whole squad attached to my visit to help with positioning and balance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gvinton View Post
    Considering the title of the thread, I don't think the response was particularly offensive.
    It's marketing. I'm to get more views with this title than breast awareness for women with disabilities.Thanks for viewing.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I have adjusted the title, and moved to the Mobile Women's forum.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have adjusted the title, and moved to the Mobile Women's forum.

(KLD)
    Where it'll get fewer responses. Hope I'm wrong.

Women's health is an issue with me. Not being antagonistic just practical. Sex sells. The title boobs was offensive? Never my intention.

I apologize to anyone if that was the case as my previous post in the woman only forum got few views and less responses. Just my reasoning.

Is appreciate any and ,all experiences as breast cancer can and does effect men as well.
    Last edited by Liz321; 02-26-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

the thread title was "boobies"
    my mom is a bc survivor
    i did a 24 hour relay for life for her, logging in over twenty miles
    i meant no disrespect
    and i stand by my post

oh ****
    okay i sit by it

i get yearly mammograms. have had for yrs. my dr. recently told me breast exams done by women have not shown useful. only the mammogram is useful. i have had mammograms for at least ten yrs. the machines now are totally accessible. the problem is the technicians. some are helpful, some are condescending, some are nasty.

my last one was a month ago. my doc is damn pissed at the head of hospital over the way i was treated. she knows him and was going to complain. long story.

short story: get your mammogram yearly. forget worrying about checking for lumps. get your mammo and don't take crap from techs.

as my doc said, it's an accommodations issue. they have to legally have accessible machines and techs who can handle it.
    Last edited by cass; 02-26-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Very true cass. Unfortunately, some women w/ SCI?D don't get an exam due to lack of access. Hell I'm still looking for a gyno.
    Again this is the first time I have seen something that wants to address the issue .

Wendy ran a conference in Brooklyn last year for women with disabilities. An excellent start but there seems to be no connection between groups to advocate en,mass .

They assign three women to help when I have a mammo. Two for positioning and one to keep me from doing a face plant. So far it has been a positive experience, as they seem to come up with women who may or may not know anything about SCI, but they are warm and humorous, and when I am having my breasts mashed and twisted it helps to inject a little humor because otherwise it would be a slightly miserable experience.

I turned 40 and had the pleasure of having my first mammogram done in a hospital that had been built 3-4 years prior. I am not a woman in a chair but I did ask how they handled someone who was. They also had a special lift chair is what I was told. It cost money and their disabled patients were just as important as their non-disabled patients was the response from the tech. They also even with me always had three techs around. I am a clumsy one LOL. I was having a bone density done also.

I also have a family history of cancer. My aunt on my father's side had breast cancer. I was told that breast and ovarian cancer could not pass through his genes to me by my doctor back in 2003 when I lost my father to cancer.

However, I just read somewhere that my doctor is wrong and my father can pass the gene to me. My grandmother died of ovarian cancer. Dad's sister had breast cancer.

I will also say that I feel that whatever is costing the government too much money...for example now it seems breast biopsies....I believe I read somewhere they are being targeted for overuse. They do not tell you how many lives they save. From reading countless medical records...(I have to read them to code and bill them) breast biopsies on those little bitty lumps save lives. I don't care if some of them come back as nothing. Some of them come back as aggressive forms of cancer and when caught early lives are saved. So the money is well spent in my opinion.

Get your Mammograms Ladies. It is important.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My wife was lucky, just got her first mammogram 3 weeks ago, and was cleared, she never had one b4 this and she's 60. Thank God,