Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCI Women's Breast Health

Thumbs up SCI Women's Breast Health

I hope I am well enough to attend the breast awareness session at United Spinal here in NY next week.

Please shae your stories with me so I can relay them to United Spinal. Women with Disabilities need to be heard, enough is enough.

http://www.unitedspinal.org/2011/02/18/breast-cancer
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-25-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Clearer title
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I hope you are able to attend Liz. So many women friends of mine have battled breast cancer in the last few years, and although none of them had a disability, it is nearly impossible for me to understand how someone already working so hard at physical independence could have this thrown into the mix as well.

i am aware of them constantly, and try to support them whenever i get an opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    i am aware of them constantly, and try to support them whenever i get an opportunity
    This is a thread about breast cancer research, do you really think that is appropriate?

becee, have you no intelligence, unreal.

I suggest you apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I hope you are able to attend Liz. So many women friends of mine have battled breast cancer in the last few years, and although none of them had a disability, it is nearly impossible for me to understand how someone already working so hard at physical independence could have this thrown into the mix as well.
    Have you had your mammogram?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Thank you for speaking out Jim, and Mary. I agree.

I hope you're able to attend Liz and share the results of the meeting. We have the same issues with too-high tables and old hospital equipment here in Windsor, Ontario.

My sister works at a hospital (foundation) 2hrs away in a bigger city (London pop.400,000+) and I am told they have a raiseable platform in their breast screening clinic that was specifically purchased to include the mobility impaired (universal for ALL women). I've never had a mammogram because of the access issue and I am 38yrs old with breast cancer history from my mother and grandmother.

Not to mention the gynecological issues of access I've been dealing with lately.

Thanks for bringing awareness to this!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 02-25-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I am a breast cancer survivor since 1985. I was not even thirty years old yet and my first mammogram was nearly the last.

My mother died in 1990 of breast cancer, a recurrence of cancer from eight years previous that resulted in a radical mastectomy. Because money was an issue for her, was not followed up with either radiation or chemotherapy. It was a gamble that they got all of the cancer with the surgery and it did not pay off in her case.

I was frantic when I discovered the lump in my left breast. It was about the size of a walnut. Given my mom's history I was dedicated to the monthly self exam and realised that it was NOT there just the month prior. If it was that big so quickly, it must be trouble, right? Right.

I made an immediate appointment with my doc and got in within the week. I was sent the same day over to the hospital for a mammogram and within another week had the biopsy. Bad news. They came to discuss my several options. Several options? What options? As far as I knew, a person given a diagnosis of cancer has only two options, not several. They are live or die, just that many options.

Mind you I was only 29 years old when this came about, so I chose the least scarring/radical option available to me at the time. Doctors were just beginning to use the subcutaneous mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Basically this is just removing as much of the breast tissue as is possible and replacing it with a breast implant leaving the skin and nipples intact. It does destroy all of the nerve endings leaving a person without feeling, so it is not like getting off scott free. There is a trade-off involved. But it is a trade-off a person with my history is quite ready to make. I could LIVE with it. And indeed all was well until last year when I had to have the implants removed and replaced because of rupture.

I went to the University health centre (250 miles roundtrip) to get a mammogram done prior to the surgery because they had a machine that was capable of doing the test without me ever leaving my chair. It was on a huge adjustable arm (think space shuttle) and was fully capable of configuring any which way necessary. What a joy these machines are.

Eventually I think every place will have such a wondrous device, but times change slowly when it comes to replacing "perfectly good" hospital machinery that costs millions. Travel may be necessary as it was in my case, but you are worth it. Believe me, good pictures in a mammogram is what you most need. Your life depends upon it.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    This is a thread about breast cancer research, do you really think that is appropriate?
    Considering the title of the thread, I don't think the response was particularly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gvinton View Post
    Considering the title of the thread, I don't think the response was particularly offensive.
    I can't speak for the title as I didn't start the thread. But I am sure a thread regarding breast cancer research was not meant to be fodder for jokes.