Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lifts to help you transfer on a plane

That's a pretty cool lift. I use a hoyar lift everyday. I've never flown since my accident because I always worry when someone transfers me. This looks really safe and if I knew a certain airline used this, I'd fly with them over the competition. I'd probably consider flying all together then.
    Joe T.

These have been in use for some time on Quantas (Australian) airline. Note that there are separate models for wide-body jets and regular jets. They do work.

(KLD)

ive seen a certain type of lift done by therapists for quads ill try to explain. if the person is sitting down the able body person will bend down and put one arm behind the neck.(looks like the quad has the person in a headlock) then the able body will grab on both sides of the pants at the hip(if the person is wearing a belt it helps) then the able body will sqeeze the quads knees with there knees. then in one movement lean back and pull with arms at the hip. bottom lifts off seat and swing/rotate.

Really who cares what it looks like, if you've been in a chair more than a few weeks you should be used to people and there bratty kids staring you. I don't transfer with out a hoyer because it the only way I consider safe. It pisses off the big guys on the "lift team". I'm sure that they could lift me, but there's more of a chance of me getting hurt and they never get me in my chair right.
    I would have no problems using that lift. It would be nice if they loaded you first so your not some show.
    How do we force the airlines here to use them?
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sh1wn View Post
    Really who cares what it looks like, if you've been in a chair more than a few weeks you should be used to people and there bratty kids staring you. I don't transfer with out a hoyer because it the only way I consider safe. It pisses off the big guys on the "lift team". I'm sure that they could lift me, but there's more of a chance of me getting hurt and they never get me in my chair right.
    I would have no problems using that lift. It would be nice if they loaded you first so your not some show.
    How do we force the airlines here to use them?
    A petition would be a way to start.
    Last edited by Garyis; 04-29-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I have been flying since 1984. I don't know how many flights I have taken but I'll guess 30. 95% of the time they load the wheelchair users first. It is how it was from the beginning. It has only been in the past ten years that there is an 'Aisle chair' available minutes after I approach the desk telling them that I need an aisle chair. Most airlines have acquired aisle chairs now.

Earlier I was carried from the entrance to my seat. First boarded last to exit.

It is not always smooth, depending on the employee's attitude that day.

I fly Hawaiian, United, Alaska, and Southwest Air. They all accommodate wheelchair users without complaint.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I know that airlines are not required to follow ADA but I found they have to follow the
    The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) looking thru the guide it looks like they are moving in the right direction, it does only affect US airlines and it could probably use an update seeing how it was passed in 1990.
    My favorite part of the guide was this

"Carriers must provide passage to an individual who has a disability that may affect his or her appearance or involuntary behavior, even if this disability may offend, annoy, or be an inconvenience to crew-members or other passengers."

Man could I have fun with that

The guide can be found here.

http://www.disabilitytravel.com/airl...ct_details.htm
    c3/c4, injured 2007

QUOTE=SCI-Nurse;1359308]More information about the Australian airplane lift (you can watch the video demo here): http://www.haycomp.com.au/haycomp-eagle-dvd

(KLD)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to dredge up a seven-year-old thread but YVR has started using the Eagle Lift 2. And I got to use it for the first time this month getting on and getting off a West Jet flight in Vancouver. But the two lifts by the staff in the Honolulu were brutal! They almost destroyed my left arm transferring onto that stupid aisle chair at the beginning of my holiday. And despite guaranteeing the lift for my return flight, I had two West Jet "trained agents" mangle my right arm. But

I would've thought the Eagle Lift would be available at all airports in the USA.

We have had some other discussions of the Eagle aviation lifts that are more recent here, and on FB. Here is one from this site:

It appears that there are still only a very small number of these lifts available at USA airports. Airlines and airports are going to get them only if pressured by PWD, and possibly by the unions (if any) for those staff who are doing manual lifting in ways that are likely to injure the staff.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=Eagle+lift

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=Eagle+lift

You can search here for where either the Eagle 2 or 3 are available in the USA: http://www.haycomp.com.au/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.