Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: What Dr do you have

  1. #11
    Senior Member canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    BC Canada
    Just a plain old family medicine doctor + urologist. In Canada things are not so hyper specialised like they are in the states. The majority of specialists tend to be generalists with ocaisonal sub specialist or a specialist with a interest in a certain area.

    They must be doing something right, been a para for 41 years with no major issues.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Only some physiatrists do primary care; many do not. Regardless, it is a very good idea to have a physiatrist on your health care team. An annual check-up with the physiatrist can address your SCI specific needs, and also make recommendations to your primary care physician for your on-going health care needs. This works best if you can get the physiatrist to recommend an internist that they already work with a lot.

    You can find a list of physiatrists here:

    It is especially helpful to have a physician who is board certified in Spinal Cord Medicine as well. Most are physiatrists, but there are other specialists who have this certification, including some urologists, neurologists, neurosurgeons and orthpedists.

    Don't forget that you need to have a regular urologist as well, and that is also a physician that you should see annually.


    can't get the link to work, KLD.

  3. #13
    Looks like they just changed their website. Try this instead:


  4. #14
    that's it. thank you.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Looks like they just changed their website. Try this instead:

    No surprise there is none on our area.
    There is a cancer center in our area that is highly respected, but trying to find a good doc for a high level SCI has been maddening.
    My husband has a PCP for every day type things and after much frustration we finally met a ENT that seems good.
    The PCP worked in a rehab hospital while he was in medical school and is not uncomfortable with SCI, but is not a specialist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts