Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem!!! ADI disc brake.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a problem!!! ADI disc brake.

So I have a tilite TR with ADI disc brake.

My problem is that, now the push feels harder. It even wears my shoulder. Now i have 'clicking' sound at my shoulder when I push, particularly up the hills.

I did thought it was a problem with the brake. but even when i loosen the brake pad to null, i cant get the wheel to spin loosely!!!it only spin 2 or 3 times at most. so it's not the brake, but maybe the disc.or maybe the mechanical thingy that connects the spline insert drive from the wheel to the brake.

I was thinking if getting rid of the disc brake and changing it to conventional brake would be better. But since I have tapered seat, my push-to-lock on my old tilite wouldnt work. It barely touches my wheel.

So I know this brake is bicycle stuff.the mechanical of the caliper is indeed replaceable and serviceable in almost any bike shop.but is the connector (shown with the pointing arrow) a standard?can a bike shop fix that? (assuming that is the problem)

If i wouldve known the cost of having a brake is 'harder to push', i woudnt even bother thinking about it. My hand is not even a 125bhp with high torque that can ignore hi-volume friction.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Could it be the bearings?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

could it be? but it happens to both of the wheel simultaneously.but i'll give it a check! *sigh*

if it is, i might need a better bearing.i've only been using the chair since 6 months ago. *sigh again*
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

I know nothing about db, sorry, but I have a tr with tapered seat, and I use push-to-lock brakes attached to the lower frame bar. Because the angle of attack is different, it is almost impossible to push the tyres under the brakes - works nearly as well as the ds locks I used to have. That might work for you if you need to remove the db for a repair

Hi Nia,
    It seems unlikely that you'd have problems with both bearings but it could be.

But first:
    Is the disk rubbing on the fixed pad?

It could be that the camber tube has slipped a bit, forcing the disk into the pad.
    Loosening the brake cable wouldn't help if that's the case.

You can loosen the fixed pad by backing out the allen head screw in the hole of the red ADI badge (just below the arrow in your pic).

It that is the problem I can describe a more permanent fix as well as some other tips to improve the brakes performance.

Jeff
    Doh!

@amy : thanks!how come i didnt think of that?i even put in at the backrest LOL

@jeff : actually i have loosen the brake pad entirely but the disc wont move freely.now that i think of it, i cant remove the dics brake because the camber tube has been cut and would affect the spacing greatly if removed. *sigh* it'd be great if u have solution, or a view of what the problem is.

owh and by the way, if DaleB meant wheel bearing, i've checked it out and it seems to spin freely on my axle, so i think we can rule that one out.

i'm sorry if i ask a dumb question, but do they have bearing in camber tube?
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

I'm not exactly sure how they build their setups; accept I do know that the disk should spin totally free, wheel on or not. The star-bit on the wheel locks into the star receiver on the camber tube connected to the disk which is how it all works. My guess here is that the bearing in the camber tube is pressed too tight or if it's screwed in, torqued too tight. That's the first thoughts that come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    @jeff : actually i have loosen the brake pad entirely but the disc wont move freely.now that i think of it, i cant remove the dics brake because the camber tube has been cut and would affect the spacing greatly if removed. *sigh* it'd be great if u have solution, or a view of what the problem is.
    Nia,
    In the pic it looks as if the disc is not centered in the opening of the caliper, which would force it against the outer fixed pad.
    But then it may not be - it's tough to see for sure from the angle of the photo. And it's a problem that I've experienced which is why I suggested that you check it.

Tomorrow I'll take a look at mine and see if I can see another reason that your hubs might be dragging.

Jeff
    Doh!

Yes, I thought you should check t he wheelbearings.

If it is happening on both sides, with the calipers removed, I would be surprised if the problem was any individual piece on both sides failing at the same time.

I think it is mostly likely something with the system that can affect both sides simultaneously, like the cables or lever system, just guessing, though. Todd at ADI is who you need to be asking!

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    @amy : thanks!how come i didnt think of that?i even put in at the backrest LOL

owh and by the way, if DaleB meant wheel bearing, i've checked it out and it seems to spin freely on my axle, so i think we can rule that one out.

i'm sorry if i ask a dumb question, but do they have bearing in camber tube?

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Todd at ADI is who you need to be asking!
    Agreed.

PM him: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/private...=newpm&u=15830