Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Isn't the government stopping the cure?

Guys, interesting discussion. Bottom line is that trials have commenced with Geron and Wise's trial. We still read findings of some advancement with a aveat of 10-15 years for a treatment. My questions concern these findings and cures years away. I feel that if some way some how ,the current trials show success, we will be on our way for a treatment. It's a big if. We need to put dreams behind us and see real treatments come to the forefront.

keeping on

To the original topic of the thread -
    I'm afraid the answer, to some extent, is "yes," but not for the reasons that have been generally stated. It's the anti-intellectual, anti-science movement. For example:
    http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-house...eadline_health
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    I'm afraid the answer, to some extent, is "yes," but not for the reasons that have been generally stated. It's the anti-intellectual, anti-science movement. For example:
    - Richard
    Every body needs an asshole. The sponsors of these bills serve a vital role in the Oklahoma House.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by blairc7 View Post
    yes they would! so they block anything that looks like a cure. but some people are to blind to accept the truth and blindly follow these people off a cliff if need be.
    Seriously, you don't think that highly trained scientists and nurses can change fields if they want or need to? I know that having a SCI sucks, but really, there are a lot of other medical issues out there that will not be resoved if someone figures out how to bridge the gap in SCI's, and those conditions will need scientists and nurse/rehab professionals now and in the future. As for marketing wheelchairs and such......well, the day there is a cure I am buying a damn Harley, so there will be a flood of us suddenly interested in motorcycles, running shoes, rock climbing, and the like...........a whole new market share!

You're all mad I tell you - mad! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Seriously, you don't think that highly trained scientists and nurses can change fields if they want or need to? I know that having a SCI sucks, but really, there are a lot of other medical issues out there that will not be resoved if someone figures out how to bridge the gap in SCI's, and those conditions will need scientists and nurse/rehab professionals now and in the future. As for marketing wheelchairs and such......well, the day there is a cure I am buying a damn Harley, so there will be a flood of us suddenly interested in motorcycles, running shoes, rock climbing, and the like...........a whole new market share!
    open your eyes.

so true

open your eyes.
    RIGHT ON!

And even if there is eventually a so called mainstream sci treatment how well will it work? WITH THE YEARS OF CANCER RESEARCH THEY ONLLY HAVE A 2 % SURVIVAL RATE WITH CHEMO

Thumbs up ACT Secures Patent to Generate Embryonic Stem Cells Without Embryo Destruction

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    - Richard
    thats alright oklahoma, stay stagnant and ignorant while science continues to move forward with great discoveries.

MARLBOROUGH, Mass., Feb. 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Advanced Cell Technology, Inc. (ACTC) , a leader in the field of regenerative medicine, announced today that it has been issued a patent on its "single-blastomere" technique. Patent Number 7,893,315 broadly covers ACT's proprietary single-blastomere technology that provides a non-destructive alternative for deriving human embryonic stem cell (hESC) lines.
    "Of the more than 150 patents and patent applications related to stem cell therapy and regenerative medicine that ACT owns or licenses, this patent on our single-blastomere technology is one of the most significant," stated Gary Rabin, ACT's interim chairman and CEO. "It will help us accelerate our progress on a number of fronts, including deriving embryonic stem cells which meet the regulatory standards of the European Medicines Agency and the US Food and Drug Administration, using the single-blastomere technology. We are currently developing a collaboration for creating banks of these cells using our proprietary technique with the United Kingdom's Roslin Cells. This is an example of the type of potentially revenue-generating future partnership that we think this IP (intellectual property) protection could help facilitate."...................................... ....

http://advancedcell.com/news-and-med...o-destruction/

Quote Originally Posted by tomdowns View Post
    If there is a cure for SCI wouldn't the economy, doctors, etc lose billions if not trillions of dollars?
    yes they would! so they block anything that looks like a cure. but some people are to blind to accept the truth and blindly follow these people off a cliff if need be.
    Actually, the more I've gotten to know doctors throughout my SCI years, the less impressed I am... SO MANY are just narrow-minded. I think it's more ignorance than anything. Doctors are merely technicians. Anything outside their service manual for whichever part of the human body they "specialize" in rarely gets their attention.

If a cure exists and a demand for it increases, they'll adjust. To say they intentionally block curative efforts is silly. They just base their practices around what they know.

I used to believe that there were many cures available not only for sci but many diseases as well. Now I just think that the government and the FDA are over the top cautious in conducting clinical and experimental trials.

Kinda like when I was a kid you never thought twice tasting the raw meatball mix that mom made or watching my dad drink a raw egg in a glass of homemade wine. I understand safety and hygiene but they're way to stringent in their approach with any clinical trials. If they would let more researchers move ahead with their trials maybe we might surprise ourselves and come closer to a cure and not as much money would be needed. It's time money is spent on human clinical trials and not just the research that leads up to them.