Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Isn't the government stopping the cure?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you kidding? After the cure, the health care industry stands to make million$ > billion$ in treatment delivery of the cure. Didn't you see Avatar??

Seriously, the Spinal Cord Society used to spread around this conspiracy theory dreck in the 1970s and 1980s, but have not seen it much lately. I can guarantee you that those of us who work in SCI care now will have no problems at all finding jobs in other related fields when there is a SCI cure, much less all that will be required to provide new and improved rehabilitation while the cure is taking effect. Those now paralyzed and not just going to get up and run out into the garden (and wiggle their toes in the dirt) at the instant that the therapy is provided that will cure them.

(KLD)
    sure it will be a transition, but trillions in care versus billions after the cure for a couple years and then nothing.

i forgot to mention all the money paid out for home modifcations also
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

yeaaaaa didn't you watch Avatar
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    yeaaaaa didn't you watch Avatar
    i did, but i was too busy checking out the blue chick
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you kidding? After the cure, the health care industry stands to make million$ > billion$ in treatment delivery of the cure. Didn't you see Avatar??

Seriously, the Spinal Cord Society used to spread around this conspiracy theory dreck in the 1970s and 1980s, but have not seen it much lately. I can guarantee you that those of us who work in SCI care now will have no problems at all finding jobs in other related fields when there is a SCI cure, much less all that will be required to provide new and improved rehabilitation while the cure is taking effect. Those now paralyzed and not just going to get up and run out into the garden (and wiggle their toes in the dirt) at the instant that the therapy is provided that will cure them.

(KLD)
    I have to take umbrage at that cheap shot at SCS. You haven't heard much from Chuck Carson because he passed away last October. Although he did resort to some hyperbole back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was done strategically to shakeup the status quo. Back then, anyone who suggested that more effort should be put into research for curing SCI encountered overwhelming derision and ostracism with the mantra that they were "raising false hopes." One psychologist back then even suggested that a cure for SCI would be detrimental because many such persons would not be able to handle the psychological shock of becoming able-bodied again. SCS lead the vanguard and was the impetus that led to the establishment of APA/CDRF and MP. Although much smaller, SCS achieved more bang for the buck, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I don't have proof yet, but I'm pretty sure that Florida quads are blocking the Cure in order to preserve their 100% exemption from property taxes. It's not fair!
    Sounds pretty good to me comparing it to my ungodly taxes here in NYS. I'm moving down there and definitely trying to block the cure. Maybe I'll be $8,000.00 a year richer but at least I'll still have to be at the mercy of my aides and oh yeah poop my pants at the most inconvenient of times.

I'm surprised of the replies. At least in Spain the government is not a single unit working seamlessly achieving goal after goal... it's actually a bunch of people doing sometimes the best they can and sometimes what is better for their own interests.

The economic crisis that is hitting pretty hard in Spain is actually helping some people in the government to desperately try to cut as many expenses as possible. The SCI community (and any other handicapped community who can't work and can potentially get economic benefits) costs a TONE of public money. That means some of them are opening the eyes and realizing that a SCI cure/good improvement could cut a lot of those expenses.

So put it that way, our government wants to cure us, primarily because we cost them a lot. But lots of companies make a lot of money thanks to our situation... and they are not exactly poor and weak.
    Could these companies bribe some decision-making people from the government to steer or slow down research? Could the government be relying on the wrong (corrupted) people when it comes to funding?

Well... after all, behind any government you'll find human beings with needs and ambitions.

Maybe the US government is an unbreakable, unmistakable, incorruptible intellectual force. I know the Spanish one is not.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

A cure of sci is analagous to the vacination of polio. There could have been a never ending stream of crippled people to provide therapy,however the government opted for that preventive vacine.Or maybe advocates of anti-cure,especially those catheter manufactures may want to put out contracts on Wise,Kierstad and Davies to name a few to keep the revenues flow going. Is Da secretly meeting with some of you people.

If Geron is even partially sucessful it will be change the treatment of all acute sci's for future generations. We are a small population. I am presently in a rehab hospital that has 103 patients. There are 2 of us with sci. All the others are hip replacenents,amputees and stroke victims.

Interesting views, and many significant comments.

OK, conspiracies. There is a tendency to understatement. Of course some of them are doubtless quite spectacular, and have amongst other subjects suggested that the Twin Tower outrage in New York was a CIA collusive project. Certainly the CIA is not clothed in lightness and love, but come on folks, it is rather far fetched! On the other hand, Area 51, and odd sightings, reported not by anoraks, but seasoned airline captains and senior Air Force officers have to be taken seriously. Most of us accept that no viable space exploration is possible using traditional rocket propulsion, and this is a possible research agenda in America's most secret of all installations. (What about the cost do I hear you ask?)

As far as what any government tells you, I regard anything they say as seriously doubtful before I have even heard it. I have made the point that many organisations do stand to face large down turns is profits if a widely accepted cure is found, but left it hanging in the air. I do not believe that corporations, either in pharmacy or care products are entirely ethical, and I understand that a "slidey sheet" currently costs around £70! This is scandalous. Similar rip offs occur across the board. None of this has anything to do with the care professionals etc who will lose their jobs, thanks to the bankers they already are!

What about the bottom line costs? Well, personally (and that is the only way anyone will get a decent job done) house modifications, together with an enforced house move have eaten into most of our life savings. The cost of SCI in the USA is currently c. $400 billion, or if you like 0.4 trillions. This does not include any other major health research/care. We may be a minority, but we sure cost a hell of a lot. Let's face it, the ultimate altruism of a doctor is to make himself redundant, but this is never going happen. Accidents, smoking and drinking one's self to death are going to keep A&E departments going for a long time to come!
    Last edited by chris arnold; 02-25-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    Sounds pretty good to me comparing it to my ungodly taxes here in NYS. I'm moving down there and definitely trying to block the cure. Maybe I'll be $8,000.00 a year richer but at least I'll still have to be at the mercy of my aides and oh yeah poop my pants at the most inconvenient of times.
    I hope everyone who is wondering why the CURE hasn't been released is paying attention!!! Their ranks are swelling by the day.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by tomdowns View Post
    If there is a cure for SCI wouldn't the economy, doctors, etc lose billions if not trillions of dollars?
    yes they would! so they block anything that looks like a cure. but some people are to blind to accept the truth and blindly follow these people off a cliff if need be.