Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the cause of the Oxycodone shortage in FL?

What is the cause of the Oxycodone shortage in FL?

Hello all, wondering if anyone can give me a concrete answer to why there is an apparent Oxycodone (not oxycontin) shortage in Fl? Is it just my state? I have been told by a pharmacy that there is nation wide shortage.
    Maybe there is a thread about this that I missed? if so could you point it out?
    If someone can give me an answer could you point out your source of info.
    I KNOW there is a shortage and pharmacies have been running low/out of this med. for the past couple months.
    thank you
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

oxycontin and oxycodone are the same, contin means continuous that why the large dosages, and oxycodone is small dose pills........because they are crushing the big dosages and smoking and shooting them up, plus the dealers are getting insane amount of money for a single pill..........

Rush Limbaugh's consumption has reduced the supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Rush Limbaugh's consumption has reduced the supply.
    damn, and I thought it was my consumption that caused the problem
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    damn, and I thought it was my consumption that caused the problem
    If you still have your hearing you are using a lot less than Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    If you still have your hearing you are using a lot less than Rush.
    speak loder, i can't hear you
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    oxycontin and oxycodone are the same, contin means continuous that why the large dosages, and oxycodone is small dose pills........because they are crushing the big dosages and smoking and shooting them up, plus the dealers are getting insane amount of money for a single pill..........
    NO, oxcodone Ir and Oxycontin are NOT the same. One (oxycodone) is a generic available instant release form, Oxycontin Is a Brand Name Only extended release form, made by Purdue( maybe another Co. but I dont know) who has a class action lawsuit against them and have changed the formulation from OC type to OP type which is not as effective to many people in chronic Pain and show no actual proof of abuility to abuse them. Junkies are Junkies...a very ingenious breed, who seem to always find a way. OC/OP type Charge insane amounts of money for their Drug that THEY Deal.Purdue, As well a strait up lied to the FDA and untrained Drs. and is not covered by many on medicare/medicaid.

http://alcoholism.about.com/b/2010/0...r-to-abuse.htm

^^Both of which are abused and and sold by dealers at insane amounts of money.
    I dont believe there is a shortage of the brand name Purdue Type, only the generic available IR type.

Please note sources...other than yourself.
    This is a serious issue to many in chronic pain.
    Thanks
    B
    Last edited by barondidit; 02-22-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Oxycontin in the States has made it so drug addicts can't cut or crush the pill and many people on this new Oxycontin are experiencing nausea and vomiting or generalized abdominal pain and many are saying they're not getting pain relief with this new Oxycontin. So they've asked their Dr. to give them Oxycodone instead of this new Oxycontin -OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherbears View Post
    Oxycontin in the States has made it so drug addicts can't cut or crush the pill and many people on this new Oxycontin are experiencing nausea and vomiting or generalized abdominal pain and many are saying they're not getting pain relief with this new Oxycontin. So they've asked their Dr. to give them Oxycodone instead of this new Oxycontin -OP.
    Yes this is true.
    ALSO
    Generic makers of oxycodone ir are regulated by the De@ and the few companies are only allowed to make a certain amount of them per year. Thier (makers of generic IR type ) quota is reset every year on jan 1st. This has caused shortages in the past LATE IN THE YEAR. Yes the "pill mills" of So. Fla were a part of the problem as they write excessive amounts of these pills to many, many of which, dont even "need" them. Basicly many of them were "Drug Dealers" charging A LOT of cash only, per visit to other known "Drug Dealers" and abusers.
    Tho, the De@ has been cracking down on many of these "pill mills" and has put stricter new laws into effect. This would seem to help curb the shortage issues to actual chronic pain patients.
    What Im trying to find out is why there is already shortages going on in the Pharmacies. Many have been on back order for weeks in my area. It seems way to early in the year for shortages to be a problem due to quotas. Pharmacies are stating there is a nationwide shortage, some of which are stating they will no longer be carrying this med at all.
    Please let me know if you know of the reason for this.
    Thank you
    Last edited by barondidit; 02-22-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Kind of like gasoline; there is plenty of it available but the sources that control it, hoarde it to drive prices up. Do you think the drug companies give a rats heck about our pain?