Thread: Bed height controls

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Bed height controls

I get out of my chair on one side of the bed, and get in to my shower chair on the other. I just got a new shower chair and it is about 3" higher than the old one - just high enough that I can't always get enough lift to make a smooth transfer. Like many of us, there is not much of anything between my ischii and the seat and I cringe any time I come down hard. Likewise, I feel like I'm shearing what little is there if I use a slide board.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of electric car jacks to raise one side of the bed for transfers, but thought I would check to see if anyone else had come up with something better. I'm not interested in getting an adjustable bed, as I have not seen any that will raise the whole bed and I'm really looking for something $500 or less.

Thanks!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I use a transfer master classic bed. Goes down to 18" up higher than you will ever need to go. You can elevate feet, head separately. These are really pricey but insurance pays a good chunk if you are para or quad. With one of these you always do a gravity transfer.

I always had my chair on 17" height, then the shower chairs started getting higher, i went thru the same thing.
    I put my chair to the 19" hole, and raised the bed two inches, so everythings level again. i figured that was the easiest since hotel beds are usually higher anyways
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, raising the bed might work out. It would mean that I would have to use a slide board to get out of the chair, but I don't worry as much about using a slide board with pants on - thanks.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Hmmm, raising the bed might work out. It would mean that I would have to use a slide board to get out of the chair, but I don't worry as much about using a slide board with pants on - thanks.
    yes i was more worried about the shower chair, naked and climbing in, or wet and transferring out, seems like transfers are always easier with pants on.
    good luck
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan