Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quads getting beds bigger than twin size

Quads getting beds bigger than twin size

I'm soon going to be in the market for a new bed. I currently use a circulating air mattress so that I can sleep on my back all night without needing to be turned. Based on all the good things I've heard, I'm thinking my next one will be temperpedic or a "sleep number"-esque bed.

I am a C4/5 quad and have aids to help with getting up and going to bed in the morning and night. Does anyone in a similar situation have a bed larger than a twin size? Are things like stretching more difficult for an aid to do if they don't have direct access from both sides of the bed?

I'd like to move to a bigger bed, but I really don't want to make it too rough for those who provide me assistance!

Our daughter is in a twin size right now too, but we are thinking that the next bed will be full size. I do much of her care and a full size bed to me seems about right...a queen size bed would be too wide for me to dress her etc. She would like the extra inches for her dog and for someone to join her in bed for a movie. (She is a young enough teen to still love to snuggle with mom and dad.) The new bed would also have to be height adjustable.

We have a queen bed with a tempurpedic mattress. Love the mattress, but it makes accessing Chad (c4/5) a real pain in the butt because if I'm ranging him, on one side I have to climb into the bed to do it. And in the case of an aide, they have to climb in the bed too and its sorta weird. Now, we need a queen because there are two of us in it (and I'm AB), but if we were to do it again I'd get two twins and push them together for the reason you ask.

This bed is very comfortable and easy for transfers, I looked at an sleep number but the air was not what I needed. I needed something that was soft but firm at the same time to accommodate for transfers and dressing. I get myself dressed in bed. The head comes up and feet as shown in the pictures. Also in the pictures are "chain loops" I use them for turning in bed! My bowel management is also done using the bed! I do usually turn at least once in the night, early morning. About 7-8 hours on a side. I have also spent hours on my back and skin was still fine. I try not to sleep on my back at night because of an skin sore in the hospital. Skin has wrinkles from the covers which will be there on every bed that one uses! Very little pink, I mean very little!
    http://www.airbediq.com/alluraqueen.html is the mattress that I'm using. In the pictures is the set-up that I got along with 2 bed side drawers that I use for clothing or anything. I got all these: box spring, mattress, headboard, frame, 2 side drawers.
    Paid a couple $1,000 but I get to write it off on my taxes with my Dr. prescription hand written note!

I have a full size Hi-low flex-a-box with a sleep number mattress the ability to raise and lower the bed is a major plus when it comes to dressing and range of motion it saves the back's of my caregivers. Here's my routine, I sleep on the right side of the bed so in the morning my range of motion for the right side is done first then I'm pulled across to the left side of the bed and have range of motion done on my left side. Dressing and bathing is done then I'm transferred into the chair and it's just the opposite going to bed at night minus the range of motion. Sleeping on a full size bed it's nice having the extra room I wouldn't mind having a pillow top on the mattress for extra padding but would probably make the bed too soft to pull me across. Hope you find something comfortable enough to give you many nights of sweet dreams :-)
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    if i slept in a twin size bed, i would probably roll right out of it in the middle of the night.

My son has the Flex-A-Bed Hi-Lo with an x-tra long full mattress. He loves his bed and it's not too big for his assistant when she is helping. We also have one of those "chain loops" tied to the far right side of the bed which helps him when he gets into bed or wants to turn on his side.

For me the hard thing is finding an adjustable bed that I can raise and lower the whole bed; I have a twin by Invacare that does, but a larger bed, say queen or so, would be nice.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    if i slept in a twin size bed, i would probably roll right out of it in the middle of the night.
    lol, x2. big king for us. just reg bed.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    I'd like to move to a bigger bed, but I really don't want to make it too rough for those who provide me assistance!
    The question I would have is WHY would you like to move to a bigger bed. For me, I need a bigger bed because I roll from one side to the other and don't want to have to slide. Also, to sit myself up, I need space to the side to throw out my arms. But, from what I've read, you only seem to have reasons to stick with a smaller bed, and haven't listed any reasons why you are even considering a bigger bed.
    C-6/7 incomplete