Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Walk

There are numerous centers in the country based on the Project Walk recovery methods. Most are run by trainers that have left PW and started their own center. If you are looking on the East Coast there is Samaritans Walk in Virginia.

Thanks Sharon, but I'd have to say I agree w Mac on that PW is great for incomplete injuries which unfortunately I don't have. I've heard the same results about PW with complete injuries that are 2yrs post+ and that it is a great place with positive people but besides an expensive workout you don't get anything as far as functional results.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

yeah, I guess that is the big question.....my son is complete and we take him to Samaritans Walk, mostly because other local rehab centers dont know what else to do with him. he was injured in 12/09 and what he has gained is strength and balance, no return of function. we have a stander and FES at home so we go to SW for one on one training and conditioning. I will continue to take him as long as I can afford it.

Blog Entries
    donnie,

i dont know what level you are but i can say that rigorous physical exercise has greatly improved my sons stability as well as numerous other nagging sci related health problems. with project walks help my c 5/6 complete son is getting his drivers license with no need for trunk straps or supports and can sit upright for extended periods of time without blacking out. with medical based rehab my son could not sit above 45 degrees without losing consciousness. their only remedy was a drug called midodrine that raised his blood pressure but made it almost impossible for him to digest food. if i were you i would try an aggressive assisted exercise program somewhere before kissing the idea off.

Donnie

There are several programs or therapists/trainers on or near the East Coast that are affiliated with us:

http://www.stepituprecovery.org/
    http://www.pushtowalknj.org/

Trainers/Therapists:
    http://www.projectwalk.org/institute/find_trainer.htm

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Exercise Program in NJ

I would suggest that anyone with an SCI at least try one of the programs in the area that is closest to you. I founded Push to Walk four years ago and we are located in northern NJ. I strongly believe that part of the success of any exercise program is the consistency and frequency in attending. As one of the other posts stated - don't write it off until you try it. But I would suggest you try a program that is close to home (or as close as possible), whether that is FL, CA, NC, NJ, etc. As a founder of one of these kinds of programs after my son was injured, I wish there was a center that provided specialized programs for SCI in every region and state. But until that happens, try to stay close to home, check out the program and then evaluate how it fit your needs.
    I'd be happy to speak/e-mail with anyone looking for more info on our program or others that I am familiar with.
    Cynthia Templeton
    Push to Walk

I guess you promoters/affiliates didn't read my post correctly. I'm a complete injury over 2 yrs. Post and I workout on the regular and stay active. I'll save my $$$$ for something of more significance than an expensive w/o w hot trainers that are positive. IMO I can achieve the same results for a .25 of the $$$$. All the best..
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Blog Entries
    donnie,

you seem to have asked a hypothetical question that you already knew the answer to.if your workouts are satisfying and you have reached your full potential then whats your point?

Donnie

I was just providing information, that is all. It might benefit the original poster, since he/she does not list where they are from. Rereading the posts I see that it really was more of a response to Sharon D than to you, I apologize for addressing it to you.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

I know that this post is old but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. Project Walk is an amazing place. I have never been to an affiliate but the Carlsbad centre is wonderful. I live in Canada, but I visited the centre for a week and did the home based program. I then re-located to Carlsbad to do the in house program. The environment is extremely uplifting and seeing all of the progress all around you provides support and encouragement for new comers. Unfortunately my re-location didn't work out, as I suffered an injury while I was in Calif. -- not at Project Walk -- and had to return to Canada. The results are undeniable, people get better!! My trainers became my close friends and my fellow PW clients became lifelong friends as well. I would permanently re-locate to Carlsbad for PW if I could. It's not a quick fix and it takes dedication but it is worth it.