Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Van Conversions

Van Conversions

Hello everyone. I'm looking for information on the best way and best price to convert a van into a fully equpped handicap van to be driven by a T1 Complete.

I like the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. I think I want a side lift that goes into the floor and I want to be able to wheel in and then transfer to the drivers seat.

Right now the prices I've been given for just the conversion are very far out of my range. I can afford to purchase the Van but would like to find a used van in great condition that is already converted.

Thanks all, I'll be looking for your suggestions.

google man, many used converted vans sites out there, i looked at 1000s of vans and found an 02 in pennsylvania for 10 grand 4 yrs ago, like new.......u ask alot for the honda or toyota, they're 60 grand new.......45 grand used........

http://www.disableddealer.com/default.asp

a good one to get u started........

If you can in any way justify the need for transportation for work or school, or for commuting to work, VocRehab seems to readily pay for the conversion (at least in Hawaii). Heck, I own my own company and am financially very well off, but they still they pretty much insisted on covering the conversion. It is worth checking into.
    C-6/7 incomplete

A lot of converted vans on disableddealer.com I woulkd significantly underbid on asked for prices. I have advertised vans on there and offers were few and far between. Have a vehicle inspection done by skilled mechanic before concluding purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    If you can in any way justify the need for transportation for work or school, or for commuting to work, VocRehab seems to readily pay for the conversion (at least in Hawaii). Heck, I own my own company and am financially very well off, but they still they pretty much insisted on covering the conversion. It is worth checking into.
    That may be the case in Hawaii, but it certainly is not the case in CA or many other states. If you have access to Paratransit or public buses with lifts, DOR will NOT pay for a van conversion in my state.

Regardless, check out both the Disabled Dealer site (we bought one van and sold one van that way) as well as the eBay Motors site (use "wheelchair van" as your search term).

(KLD)

ck your local craigslist to0, i seem to see a ton of converted vans on mine in south fl , plus that way you can go look at it an make sure its what you want or are looking for.... also ck with your local conversion dealer and ask them if they have any demos for sale that they are selling at discounted prices ......... but try the vehicle or one like it that you buy to make sure it will work with your chair, i rented an 2010 toyota with a folding braun ramp, an my 18 wide quickie with emotion power assist wheel would get hung up on sides of the ramp were my personal rollex van with an infloor ramp has no problems ....

Don't get forced into buying something that you don't feel will work for you, I went down to a used dealer that deals mosly in used conversion vans and it was nice to go to a place and be able to try a few vans but none of them had lifts I was used to and they all needed some work before they would be usable by me so I told the guy I would need a few days to think about it.
    Then he started the hard sale crap." Oh, I might not have any in a few days " and "Your not going to find a used van that will be perfect for you“. I hate pushy sales men so I just got out of there and was really hoping I wouldn't have to buy one of his vans.
    Then my dad found one in our local paper so we called and set up to see it and it turned out to be exactly what I wanted!
    So, anyways make sure you are comfortable in a van and try not to get pushed into one just because you need it now.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Blog Entries
    I have bought 2 vans on Ebay, and have been very happy with both of them. I found that by checking every 2 or 3 days that I was able to find a van that had all of the features that I wanted, and at a price I could afford. The first van took about 3 weeks of checking, and the latest took about 6 weeks, as I was looking for an in-floor ramp, under $25,000 and less that 20,000 miles. I was also trying to get a Sienna or Oddesy, but settled for an 2008 Dodge Caravan. I had a local mechanic go and take a look at it, and then flew down to Florida to pick it up.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

honestly, at your level I wouldn't invest a shit-ton of money into a highly modified vehicle that you may not really need. I know C5's that drive 4-door cars with no mods.. although I realize everyone has a different comfort level. From what I've heard about vans w/ in-floor ramps is that they are far more hassle than they are worth unless you absolutely need one.

I opted for something to save my shoulders (not having to break down and lift chair), not too mention wardobe and vehicle upholstery. Check out the video - http://www.adapt-solutions.ca/products/index.php?prd=5

go see voc rehab 1st!!.....i did.. told em i want to get back to work, but since i cant do what i did , i want to go to school, just dont want any ole job....they are paying for my van conversion/controls/..i just had to buy the van......they r redoing my master bath, so i can get myself ready easier in the morning to go to school/work....they r paying for school( any state school / program i choose)..... im in florida......its a lengthy process though....im at 1 1/2 years since i first went to office, van getting done now......but u must be sure u say u want to return to work/school........dont go in there and be like "i hear u guys will pay for my van"
    - Rolling Thru Life -