Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing

Amazing artwork, Scorpion. And thanks for the independent living advice Kulea and GL. 10 hours to pick up a coin! That's persistence! -- obviously it's paid off.

I forgot to ask what your BF's actual neurologic injury level is. C6 is the fracture, but does not define the lesion in the cord or the level. Has he got tenodesis (wrist extension)? Triceps? Wrist flexion? Is his injury complete or incomplete?

Tendon transfer surgery is rarely appropriate for at least a year post injury. It is important to get maximum natural return before doing these procedures, and that can take 2 years or more.

(KLD)

Scorpion, your drawings are awesome!

I use this pen sometimes. It has the advantage of being cheap and found in many easy locations.

www.penagain.com

The downside of splints has been pointed out. If I used everyone that has been recommended, I would need a trailer to haul them around. You never have them when you need them. However, as a last resort, they are there to try.

I learned to write in different ways depending on the need. For causal writing, I can hold a pen with a rubber grip area between my fingers and can apply sufficient force to write. However, in my first career, I was a draftsman in the days before CAD when everything was done by hand with a pencil or pen and ink. I can letter with typewriter/printer quality and precision using both hands. A pencil/pen is slipped between my thumb and fingers and the other hand is used to press against them to increase the grip and to help guide them. It took about 3 weeks of lettering 7.5 hours a day in tech school to master it, but My speed and quality was on par with those having normal hand function.

Determination, persistence, and problem solving skills are key to getting around the disability-related problems.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I thread the pen under my two middle fingers and over my little and index finger, after hours of practice in rehab. my hand writing was soon as illegible as it had been pre accident (c5/6).

I echo all that has been said about splints!

Blog Entries
    I like the wanchik writer. It works well for me. There are many sites selling them, this is just one to show you a picture.

http://www.wrightstuff.biz/wanchikswriter.html
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Thanks, all. Rhino, it does take patience, but then sometimes you get lost in what you're working on and lose all sense of time.

I agree with the notion that the fewer adaptive devices you rely on, the better. Even if you prefer writing/drawing with a splint like the Wanchik, it's still a good idea to learn to do so legibly with nothing but a pen/pencil. You never know when you might need to write or sign something and not have your splint with you.

Scorpion Hi

I truly love art I used to love doing custom paintjobs , flames and hand pinstriping etc..
    Maybe because of my love for motorcycles / hotrods who knows

I have my sets of airbrushes / paint guns , hvlp ones too I liked binks #7 still one of my all time favs and tools like that but it has been 4 year's since I custom painted or done any real customizing to any hotrods since I had my upper neck surgery it is hard on my head .

I think back to when I was a youngn and my family owned bodyshops that is where I learned how to use whip letter , pinstripe brushes etc... It kind of came with the family lol
    Most all of my life i've painted everything from airplanes to cars , motorcycles , Family autobody business etc... Dulux , Imron , BASF , Deltron ppg , sherwin williams and then the basecoat clear coar stuff lol

Time flies but I think the older we get the wiser we get and our experience pays off

I dont use adaptive devices at all
    My life is a funny one I believe in doing what ever I want my way .

Now my goal to pass down is I sometimes teach younger people how to do custom body work and fancy paintjobs etc...
    I like to push myself to a mental challenge and just do what we say down here Get er Dun lol

Art is so much fun
    Youre very talented .

now I sometimes teach younger people how to do custom body work and fancy paintjobs etc...

Thanks, GL!

That's really cool. I love cars and always thought it'd be cool to do custom paint and stuff. My Dad did a little pin striping back in the early 60s and painted fames on his motorcycle gas tank. I have great respect for those who can do good pin stripes and flames. I rarely see GOOD flame jobs on cars driving around today. When I do see flames, they're so poorly designed and painted.

You really should pass on your knowledge/gift!

Sharpie retractable pens. I use these at work, to sign checks...all my writing. Retractable so you don't have to wrestle off or lose the lid. I just press up on my chin to click it open. At first, I used rubber grippers to hold, much like Scorpion's pics. After a while, you get used to it andd lose much of the adaptive OT tools. I started w/ fine point, now I use ultra fine since my fine motor skills have strengthened.