Thread: Baclofen pump and sex

Central California/ (the Republican side :)

Baclofen pump and sex

Do those of you who have the Baclofen pumps find they get in the way during sex......any pain? How long did u wait b4 u had sex? I just got my pump, and I have many questions, thnx in advance for any and all replies.

Evonne
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

I've had no issues with mine while gettin' it on!

I know this is an older post, but since there aren't many replies, thought I'd add mine. I was not in a relationship when I got my pump, so I have no personal info on how long to wait, but as long as you aren't getting totally acrobatic in bed I can't think of any reason why you should have to wait any longer than whatever time it takes for you to feel well enough after surgery to have sex again. The main concern would be twisting your body in awkward positions that might pull the catheter loose before its well healed, so to be safe I would stick with the basic positions until your surgeon okays you for physical therapy and even then try not to get too freaky for another few months. The best bet, though, would be to ask the surgeon who does the surgery or even call MedTronics and ask them.

I've had my pump for almost 4 yrs now, been in a relationship for the last 2 1/2, and have never had my pump interfere in our sex life in any way. Occasionally I may bend a certain way that causes the pump to catch on my pelvic bone and that causes a little discomfort, but that happens even during normal activities and just moving a fraction of an inch relieves it. I asked my bf if he has ever noticed any problems with it and he can't think of any he has ever noticed, either.

Hope this helps! I absolutely LOVE my pump and even after having 2 revisions due to the catheter coming out, I have to say it is one of the best decisions I have made in regards to my SCI. Good luck!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    Quote Originally Posted by TINAMARIE View Post
    I know this is an older post, but since there aren't many replies, thought I'd add mine. I was not in a relationship when I got my pump, so I have no personal info on how long to wait, but as long as you aren't getting totally acrobatic in bed I can't think of any reason why you should have to wait any longer than whatever time it takes for you to feel well enough after surgery to have sex again. The main concern would be twisting your body in awkward positions that might pull the catheter loose before its well healed, so to be safe I would stick with the basic positions until your surgeon okays you for physical therapy and even then try not to get too freaky for another few months. The best bet, though, would be to ask the surgeon who does the surgery or even call MedTronics and ask them.

I've had my pump for almost 4 yrs now, been in a relationship for the last 2 1/2, and hDave never had my pump interfere in our sex life in any way. Occasionally I may bend a certain way that causes the pump to catch on my pelvic bone and that causes a little discomfort, but that happens even during normal activities and just moving a fraction of an inch relieves it. I asked my bf if he has ever noticed any problems with it and he can't think of any he has ever noticed, either.

Hope this helps! I absolutely LOVE my pump and even after having 2 revisions due to the catheter coming out, I have to say it is one of the best decisions I have made in regards to my SCI. Good luck!
    How did u know the catheter came out? I love my pump too, but I have not reached the plateau zone yet and I've had it over a year now, maybe my catheter came out?

Evonne
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Ive been paralzed for 16 yrs and have had three pumps in my side without any problems at all. The good thing about the balcofen pump, you can exercise, turn over and have wild sex, its not going no where, its staying put, so enjoy your love life to the fullest and dont worry about this anymore. Have a blessed day!