Thread: Pain & new spasticity after Gall Bladder removal surgery

Pain & new spasticity after Gall Bladder removal surgery

I have a C7/C/8 sci and have a baclofen pump due to the severity of my spasms following my injury. The baclofen pump has worked beautifully preventing any spasms what so ever for the past ten years. Following an emergency gall bladder removal surgery last year, I developed severe abdominal spasms when i go to lay back at night after sitting in my chair all day, which lasts for about a minute. The other strange thing is that once I wake up in the morning I feel a spasm just waiting to happen in my right side of my abdomen under my pump, and as soon as I make the slightest movement for the first time I have a terrible abdominal spasm. I do not have spasms any other part of the day, unless I transfer to a bed and go to lean back again. I also have tenderness in my back right behind where my gall bladder was.

I have had a couple of cat scans, a mri, and have seen the doctor that did my surgery, my rehab doctor, and a neurosurgeon to try to figure out why the spasms are happening and why my back is tender. Nothing shows up on any of the tests, and the doctors are at a loss. They have had me transfer and lean back and have witnessed it all first hand but cannot figure out why. We even tried to raise the dose of my baclofen three times to see if it would help and it made no difference. I have even had my pump and its catheters all checked and tested.

It is so frustrating to have the pump which has totally been a life saver to now with the pump to suffer spasms again since this surgery.

Any ideas Nurse or Doctor Wise?
    Last edited by Steph; 02-17-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Welcome to the forums. Like we all say, glad you found us but sorry you had to. Here is a post that I started for baclofen pump frequently asked questions. I've had mine forever and it's really safe my life. I know which are going through. For a while, I thought my just quit and wasn't working well. We just had to adjust it so I got boluses instead of one continuous dose. It's really helped me out quite a bit but I still get spasms once in a while, just not that bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much in less it's causing you major problems. Spasms can be good for you. I hope this helps a little bit.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

We even tried some boluses. The thing is everything has been fine until 10 days after my gall bladder removal surgery. These spasms shoot my blood pressure up and make me start sweating really bad. The actually are very painful. I am just trying to figure out why this has started to happen?

You better get back your surgeon. Those are signs of dysreflexia. There must be a problem somewhere.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I know, and I have been dealing with it every night and morning since memorial day last year. Ugh. Thats why I am urging anyone with any ideas to help.

Thanks rybread