Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: If you can walk, how much do you walk?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    On a good day, I can walk 5 miles at 2.5 mph. On a bad day 2 miles makes me really wobbly. I don't have pain when I walk. Getting wobbly is what limits my walking or bike riding. My PT said that this is nerve exhaustion. I have been fortunate in my recovery, but fatigue is not improving much now, and that is a bit frustrating. I would like to push myself more, but when I do it can make me tired for days. I am only 13 months post injury and hoping that this will improve.

5 miles? the average joe doesnt even walk 1 in a day! 5 miles... thats almost 10km.. thats more than an hours worth of jogging
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Fatigue is not an issue for me. I've been on long hikes, done lots of cardio, and even walked 18 holes of golf a couple weeks ago. The issue I have on occasion is hip pain (the same hip they took bone from) after longer hikes or the golf round. I don't know if its related to the surgery or if its just that my gait is slightly off due to Brown Sequard Syndrome.

Hi Jerkins,
    I know that I am lucky to have the level of recovery that I have, but before my SCI I was an endurance athlete for 25 years. I often ran 12 miles in the hills. I only posted here because my experience seems to be very different than others. My SCI has preserved many of mty abilities but has zapped my stamina. It seems that many have lost abilities but have good stamina. Cheers.
    Last edited by cajun; 05-26-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Clarification

I walk, I use a cane most of the time. I occasionally have to use a chair now. I don't use crutches because I'm not supposed to, thus the chair on bad days.

My balance is not horrible, but I can't walk on uneven ground, turn my head and walk, stop in crowds. Visual input for some reason confuses my feet. I feel like a toddler just learning to walk when "wow the big exciting thing just popped up" and I either stop cold or jump oddly. Startle reflex maybe??

I will offer a word of caution to all walkers...work your legs evenly! This is so important and can really haunt you down the road. I've gotten good advice for walking and it's essential for walkers to remain walking. One day off costs so much. I don't mean any of this snotty sometimes things just come out wrong

Lavender, I have the same problem when I stop and look around when walking...especially outside. I have a moment of dizziness and then things settle but it's bad enough that I tend to keep my eyes on the ground. One of my physicians described it as a proprioception problem...difficulty in recognizing where you are in relation to other things. It seems like a reasonable explanation. If I'm close to a wall or something solid, I don't feel out of whack but the minute I hit the wide open spaces, it's a problem. Mine stems from nerve damage in my feet. I don't feel the ground that well. So, if I can see the ground, it's okay, but if I take my eye off of it for a moment...forget it.

I've switched over to hiking poles but am not real crazy about the stress they put on my wrists. I can walk a half-mile with them and a mile on the treadmill. I'm working up my stamina.

my neurosurgeon insists his patients not use canes, but to use hiking sticks instead, the tall ones like gandalf would use.

Yeah, Trekker, I understand why. They force you to stand up straight and I believe they encuorage a more normal gait and longer stride. Plus...they look a little cooler than canes!

Truly - I am a L1 incomplete crutch walking para with one AFO and no sensation on my feet so I know exactly what you mean about the use of vision to take the place of proprioception.

I did want to say that if you want to hike farther than a mile and you have a strong upper body, you should consider forearm crutches. I can walk .5 miles with trekking poles. With crutches, (I use SideStix), I have trail hiked 21 miles in 11 hrs with 4000 ft of climbing. (Yes, I have been told I have a few screws loose in the head ;-) ) The crutches are the way to go for longer distances. You do have to get over their 'disability look' but when you blast few a few miles on a hiking trail that you thought was off limits, who really cares.

Just wanted to throw this out there as one of the crew here that is 'grateful' that I can get out of my wheelchair and crutch walk with my dog. He appreciates it.

Walk ????? I think I can FLY, no really I recently took a ride up to the roof, 15 ft in the air, that had the building not too well attached to it that fell on me. Walked around for a while [I took a cane] checked everthing, for the installation of some equipment that will be "securely bolted down" as was not the case prior to the foreclosure from the prior owner. Saw some movement in the office next door where "he" is squatting now. Could not resist, and succumbed to the urge to pull a moon directed at the people responsible for my initiaton to this "club" it took a few twists near death, close, but no prize. My vulgar NY mouth let them know how I feel, boarded the shakey pallet on the forklift and came down walked all over the parking lot, up the dune top the ocean beach and back feeling some what victorious and renewed. Actualy at that point I was pretty beat up.

However,, tomorrow I get Botox in the left leg that spases and freaks out on me. I've put a tremendous amount of time, energy [all that I have left in me] and research to try to lead a normal life that will never be again like I knew it. I feel I want too much, worked my way up over the years and just when I thought I reached the top I had to start all over again.

@&*% !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm doing it all over again, and I'm not going to stop, it's not in me. Damn, at times I don't know why I didn't make it, it would have been so much easier. I wasn't 45 at the time , and now I'm 52.

Sad part is I still feel 44 maybe it's the drugs I have to take for the pain, and the problems associated with this mess I'm now in. What a Club. As for the vulgar language think "lower Manhattan, loading dock, NY cabbie, factory worker, street talking, mafia wannabe" and just when you think you got it, down a few notches, that's where it was.

How far do you walk? As far as I can, for now.

If you're using Lofstrand (fore arm) crutches, I highly recommend "tornado tips" to absorb some of the shock and give better grip/traction.

They are about $30 a pair online and worth every penny. My son (L1 bust '07) is hooked on them and I keep an extra set in the house. They last about a year depending on how much you walk. I order them through quality medical inc., but other places have them too.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt