Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caregiving Problem.

Question Caregiving Problem.

Hi all,

I was searching the web looking for a good forum to post a question and I feel I found the right place after viewing a few other posts.

My 87 year old father is dieing of lung cancer. He is unable to sleep in a bed so he is moved from his recliner to his transport wheelchair several times a day. He can not move at all without gasping for air so for him to urinate he stands up and holds on to a walker while the urine bottle is held in place for him. It is starting to get to a point where his legs are too weak and he is unable to stand up for the length of time it takes him to finish. He is also unable to pull himself up to stand so he now needs to be lifted by hand out of the chair for him to stand. His doctor suggested a tube into his penis so he can urinate but just the thought of it is very disturbing. Dippers is a last solution when the time comes but for now I was wondering is there any other solutions? He is still mobile to the point where he is at the dinner table 3 times a day for meals so I would like to keep it that way.

Thank you for any replies
    -Tony

How about a tall stool or table for him to lean back against to hold some of his weight? How about oxygen?
    Give him an atta boy from me. That's one tough old dude!

Yes he is on Oxygen, Sorry I failed to mention that. I also failed to mention that if there was a way he didn't have to stand would be great but if not, then how to avoid having to be hand lifted?

Thanks for the kind words
    -Tony

Tony sorry you are having to go thru this. I am in no way an expert but you may want to check into a suprapubic cath. This is tube that is surgically put into the bladder right below the belly button.
    Also you may want to check into a patient lifter, such as a hoyer. I know there are other kinds available and hopefully someone will chime in to provide name brands but that would make it easier to move him.
    I am uncertain with him being terminal if insurance would pay for anything like I have mentioned above but it may be worth checking into. I know there are used lifts on ebay and craigslist.
    Good luck and stay strong!

Hi TonyC, glad you found us. I understand your hesitancy about the catheter for urinating. For the first couple of years after my son broke his neck, he was able to use a condom catheter (excuse the name) but it perfectly describes what it is. It does not have to be inserted and works great as long as the patient can void on their own. It is hooked to a tube that goes to a leg bag or bed side bag. Be sure to try this solution before considering a sura pubic since any invasion of the body like that can cause complications.

There is a bit of an emotional hurdle to get over in the beginning of using a catheter, but it is a great solution and believe me you will get so used to putting it on in no time at all. There is no bad smell. Best to you and your Dad. And good for you for stepping up to the caregiving plate.
    "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"

Excellent idea darthe...I had used those for David before the suprapubic cath and totally forgot about them.

Hi Tony, A friend of mine took care of her father at home. She used the condom catheter and Medicare paid for rental of a manual Hoyer lift.
    It has been a while, but if I remember the social worker helped make some of the arrangements.
    Sorry I don't have much advice.

go with the foley. it may him suseptable to urinary infection, but I think comfort and dignity are important too. having someone empty the bag is easier too than having to hold something for him to pee in so many times a day. If he is in a wheelchair, there is a moisture proof bag you can hang underneath and the urine collection bag can go into it and it isnt visble to everyone.
    when I use a foley, and eventually just a night bag, I kept it in a little plastic trash can under my bed, or next to my desk.
    those bags can leak, and if they do, its a matter of just emptying the trash can too, rather than cleaning up pee.
    visiting nurses can change the foley if needed, and its no big deal to flush it out if need be, you can do that without him having to expose himself to anyone.
    I think its wonderful that you are taking care of your dad. bless you for being there for him.

I forgot the condom cath option. I dont think at this point surgery would be considered due to his terminal condition.

Have you contacted Hospice? Even if you don't want their services at this point they might be able to give you some resources.